Hybrid View

Default Im thinking about planting buckwheat for bee's But i also want to harvest it :)

I was going to plant buckwheat in all my pastures due to the bee's are suppose to love it

I heard they were suppose to flower all over the place and be very hardy in my area.

I also heard that they were suppose to produce a ton of crop (example. 50 pounds of seed was suppose to make 1500 pounds of crop)

So this would be good for my chickens too

Now here is the problem How do I harvest it.

I don't think it is very practical to buy a combine to harvest 3 acres of land lol.

If someone sold a thresher I would get one but I cant find one anywhere used of otherwise

What do you guys suggest? Thanks

Default Re: Im thinking about planting buckwheat for bee's But i also want to harvest it :)

This response is a bit off topic, so please forgive me. Bees absolutely work buckwheat. However, the honey is very strong tasting, and not to many people's liking.

Shane

Default Re: Im thinking about planting buckwheat for bee's But i also want to harvest it :)

your only option other than gathering by hand is a combine
    if your seeding the crop, and tilling the crop, you will need a tractor anyway,
    perhaps you have one big enough to pull an old small pull type combine

the thing is, unless you go all the way through with your crop project, you might as well seed it down to alfalfa and clover pasture. Growing a crop requires alot of machine work
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

If row crop agriculture is strong in your area then you should be able to find someone who combines crops for other people.
    The downside would be unless their equipment was very close it would be prohibitively expensive to have them move their equipment to your place to combine THREE acres. I'd say 10 acres would be minimum required before anybody with said equipment would even consider your proposal.

I had plans of planting buckwheat years ago for my bees, until I tasted some buckwheat honey that is. I planted clover instead.

I have a tractor and a tiller and many implements.

Is there a tractor pulled combine? I had no idea if one existed. If there is such a thing i would like one

I was hopping to find a thresher or something more portable.

Most people around here dont own a combine and even if they did i dont think they would harvest my field.

I have alfalfa and clover in another field but it had a tuff time last year due to the drought.

I was wanting to try a crop that you could harvest grain of of for my chickens so i could lower feed costs and such. I have a LOT of chickens. With more soon to come.

I will look for a tractor pulled combine.

The thing that annoys me the most is i KNOW threshers used to exist and would be WAY more practical for my small field than a huge combine lol

Thanks