Default Pretty overwintered Nuc

The bees don't know its still January. They are absolutely exploding like it is March already! This little hive was no more than two frames of bees in November.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Default Re: Pretty overwintered Nuc

I've had three pre swarm flights that I've seen, but no swarms yet. They want to move but then the cold clamps the urge. I'm feeding because they are expanding and they are expanding because I'm feeding, Catch 22. It was freezing rain yesterday and today it's 60 degrees. I think the bees are as confused as the weather man.

I should of added supers to a lot of my hives three weeks ago. Honey was dripping off the lids when I cracked them open. Never had that problem in Jan. before.

You guys stink! We have had temps well below zero here. Just a few days ago we hit nearly -30. So far the two hives I figured would die did and the three that I figured would do well have. It's nice owning a stethoscope!
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

I think I can hear a swarm coming LOL

Pretty sure the only way to stop one like that will be split it just before swarm season.

About feeding, if you've been doing little and often, that will be part of the problem. If you don't want thewm overstimulated early, it's best to figure out what they will need, total, then just give it all to them in one big shot. They are less stimulated plus have to store it which temporarily reduces brood raising area.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).