Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Hives stolen looking for help

I had 100+ double stolen this past week in Hinds and Rankin counties Mississippi. They are tan and white boxes with black BSH spray painted on the sides. The lids and and pallets are branded the same. If anyone in that area saw them or knows anything they can PM me or call Randy Chattam with the Rankin county sheriff office. 601-824-7110
    This is basically a complete loss of my operation and any help would be great.

Default Re: Hives stolen looking for help

I'm sure we will help as much as we can. Obvioulsy it was a bigger operation than the local teenagers could muster.

They wiped you out! Wow there is some scum out there.

So sorry to hear about this.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

In my country around a year or so ago, following a lot of hive thefts in a particular area, local beeks got together and were eventually able to identify the thieves. They were running what amounted to a bee "chop shop", where they transferred the frames and bees to new boxes, and burned the supers the hives had been in at the time they stole them.

It was big news and was on the TV.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I can not believe there are people like that in this world. I bet if you come to California you will find them pollinating almonds, good luck in your search.

What about adding a picture here...just in case they are just stupid enough not to change boxes?!

Bummer.
    If I were a commercial beek, I would sure invest in an anti-theft GPS tracker for one of the hives in my apiary. Something like this: http://www.gpstrackingkey.com/Anti_Theft_Devices.html

I believe there are even services that will send you an alert if the item is moved, so you could notify the police before the hives go to a chop shop.

As a side note, a trail cam hidden near the entrance to a field is a good idea. If not a simple $4.00 video surveillance sign posted to the entrance is a good deterrant.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of hives to thieves, everytime something like this happens it pretty much makes me sick, I know you must be devastated. I know its just material things, and they can be replaced if they are never found, but its just disgusting that someone would steal someone else's bees, I mean how desperate can you be, and what kind of persons do these things, I would surely like to know, hopefully they find out soon. John

im confused.... you list your location as AZ... but the hives were in MS?

That is so terrible! I am so sorry to hear that happened to you. I hope you are able to find out who did it and they face a lot of criminal charges!

My condolences; if that happened to me we'd be wiped out. I'm in WY, not much I can do here, but I hope you find them.

So sorry, I hope you get them back or at least catch whoever stole them.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Thanks for the kind words. I live in Az but the bees were in MS which is probably why the got taken. We have the California apiary board know so they can look for them there.

Yea... why does your profile say Arizona? Do you live in Mississippi near where these hives were? I am in Hinds county... will assist you any way I can... but I dont know too many beekeepers around here... maybe a couple... and they are not the type.
    Hope they will catch the people who did this....

Bee rustlers.....Get a rope!

I don't know anything about your hives going missing but I do remember last year when I picked some nucs at what was supposed to be Russell apiaries farm seeing a bunch of boxes with bsh painted on the sides of them. Where these boxes put there by you and taken from there. I picked up my nucs in June in Brandon ms which is rankin county I think. And I do remember seeing the bsh.
    Major
    Last edited by Major; 01-24-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Oldtimer, I'm guessing they burned the boxes because they must have been branded, otherwise a coat of paint would have been good enough. John

Yes when you were there in the spring those were my boxes. They were taken from there and another location. I hauled all the equipment from arizona.

Whoever it was who took them must have heard you had some nice bees for the almonds, that's what it kind of looks like to me. John