Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Tiny queen breeding/rearing boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    Yellow paint, dude. That may or may not be a clue. One must be observent (spelling) when keeping of the bee
    Whoa their cowgirl. Put down the gun and the rope. You called it a virgin and I ask you if it is really is one. Didn't look like one to me so I asked. Henceforth you go and edit your post putting in a date and more info. I bet if you ask any of the breeders that handle thousands of queens a year not one would guess that that is a virgin. Not one. Surely not myself. If it was you do a heck of a job raising queens and need to get of that high horse more often and start raising them for sale. Could buy a lot of feed for the price of a virgin that fine. Nice queen indeed.

Secondly the color scheme is not a federal mandate punishable by five years in jail. We happen to use the yellow every year. Two reasons...... The yellow is the easiest to pick out among the five colors. The contrast..........specially when you put a blue dot on a dark queen with dark bees its just about worthless. The queens rarely last beyond 2 years (occasionally 3) any longer so the color sequence is less important than it used to be. Do you really mark them before their mating flights?

Hive tool now back in holster.

Sorry, I was joking, but I guess that was lost in the text.
    Why does this not look like a virgin?
    Here are a few more, right out of the incubator, and actually out of little crummy cells:

This last one is a second generation Glenn Carniolan daughter. I feed them my Lance Armstrong special recipe pollen pattys. (Joking again)

And yes, I mark them with paint right after hatching. Great returns. No problems.
    (By the way, that is wood stain on my fingenails)
    I'd like to mark them with the disks, but they certainly must be way too cumbersome for the virgin to have successful mating flights. If anyone does this I would like to know.

Marking them saves me so much time in finding them faster, later, I would still do it even if it had a slight impact on mated returns.
    Last edited by Lauri; 02-28-2013 at 12:18 PM.

I'm sure most of the breeders in the US would be more than pleased if 90% of the virgins came out looking that nice. She was surely not short on RJ going into day 4 was she. $28.50 a piece is what I'm thinking. Maybe $30.99 Keep up the nice work. If you sell some let me know. Might want to try a few and test them ourselves. Not dinks please. After posting pics like that you might be up for a charge of false advertising if you did.

Lauri,
    When storing your mating nucs in the off season, what is your method of protecting them from wax moth larvae damage. Very innovative designs by the way
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Lauri would you draw out your box & frame plans. Or are just doing deep frames cut in half. With a nuc made up to fit.
    David

First of all, here is my gene pool for most of those large virgins you saw posted above. I collected this swarm near Mt. Rainier in 2011 and most of my grafts are from this queen. I got five distinct colors of daughters from this one queen. A lot of diversity to work with.

Here is the link to a thread where I describe how I cut down my frames:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...888#post886888

And I store my nuc box's empty. I store most of half deep frames inside hives with bees. I have the others exposed to the light and cold. It freezes here regularly so No real problems with wax moth.

The box's are standard nuc box's. No need for plans. Just divide them. I fir out the bottom and staple a bottom on it with entrances on both sides

Here's the bottom and one entrance. I had some cedar planks that were too split for any other use. They worked fine in this application. Gave the queen a bit of a landing ramp, although it is not necessary.

Here are some with a standard migratory top. I cut down 10 frame tops from 16 1/4" to 12" for a generous overhang to keep out the rain.
    Last edited by Lauri; 02-28-2013 at 12:21 PM.

I just have to say, awesome pics lauri. The queen almost looks like a russian.

Thank you for jumping in Lauri

Thanks
    David

Lauri,

I like the mini boxes you made up. What length are you mini top bars?
    And that is a very nice looking virgin queen, what is its lineage?
    Allegany Mtn. Bee Farm
    Quality Queens and Honey from Western New York

A normal frame cut in half.
    David

Not exactly, at least mine aren't. They are short enough to fit 2 to a row with a rail between - 9 1/4"

Lauri - If there was a prize for best looking equipment you would get it.
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b-0 winter losses in '14

Wow, when I grow up I want to raise bees like Lauri!!

For now, I'm settling for having some live bees going into my second spring.

Those ladies look great and your nails look fine!

Ed

Just in fairness to Honey4all, when virgins first come out of the cell they can be pretty big, especially if they were hatched in an incubator. (Well my incubator anyway, I don't know why that is). But they quickly trim down to the size we typically associate with virgins, in preperation for their mating flight.

Having said that, those are some good looking queens in those pics!
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

nice pics lauri!

i noticed that you have tried the jzbz cups as will as the mann lake kit ones.

do they both fit equally well into the roller cages?

have you decided that you like one type better than the other.

can't wait to try this.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

Very nice looking queens and I love the mini nuc pictures. Thanks for great ideas.

I actually graft directly into the brown cell cups of the Mann lake kit type. That way I can use the roller cages inside the finisher hives. Sometimes I still use the grid, but don't depend on it for any schedule. I just go out and grab a frame of larva and graft away into the brown cell cups.BAM! DONE! No waiting for the queen to lay in the cups. I use the JZBZ cells too, but can't use the roller cages with them, until I take the queen cells out of the hive and place in the incubator. Then the JZBZ just sit on the top.
    Due to some finisher hives building burr comb around the capped cells, I just cover them after they are capped with a roller cage and leave in the hive for a while longer. Saves me some frustration for sure. You have great looking capped cells..and a few days later you have a mess! I tried everything folks suggested on this forum. It worked sometimes. But the roller cages work 100% of the time. That's the way I go now.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It's a good wintertime project for me to mess around with finishes. I want them to look nice on my property, but none the less, they have to work well. I'm really happy with this design and hope this year goes as well as last year!

NY Blues, did you see my post about the swarm I collected that is the genetics of most of these virgins? You can PM me if you have any questions. I got five distinctly different colored daughters out of this one queen. All were very large, started laying a week earlier than any others queens I grafted from and were really outstanding with their performance> I have 50 of the best daughters overwintering for 2013 stock.
    There are few homes in the area near Mt. Rainier where I collected the swarm, and no one appears to have any hives. At this high elevation I am assuming there is a good chance this swarm is at least somewhat Farrell .

I do sell queens locally and if all goes well this year will be shipping next year on a limited scale. Husband says he will buy me insemination equipment so the gene pool doesn't get too diluted over time. I just play it by ear at this point.
    One of the nice things about these queens laying early is that I get another round of queens mated in my nucs in my short season climate. That means I can get 400 instead of 300 queens in a season. Just do THAT math. Not a guarantee, but it is promising We'll see of the daughters of the daughters also have that same schedule.

Here's my first spring ad.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/grd/3645856493.html

So if you looked at my ad you'll see I will be offering some breeder queens this year. Here is what you'll get if you are interested.
    During the spring, my first batch of mated queens were sold to local's wanting to make early splits, that had queenless hives or want to replace unknown purchased queens from nucs or packages with something Locally mated.
    The second and third batches I start selecting queens for 'Keepers' They are the ones when I open the mating nucs, the first thing that comes to mind is WHOA!( or other expressive words I won't say out loud Those are marked as keepers and allowed to grow into a nice colony to overwinter. Those that overwinter well and meet my criteria for strong spring growth and positive traits will be selected for breeders for 2013. Now, I can only graft from so many queens and it would be a shame to just let those others that exibit superior genetics to just be production queens. I will offer those proven Northern Overwintered queens for sale for $75.00. There may or may not be a market for these. We'll see.
    Last edited by Lauri; 03-03-2013 at 07:59 AM.

understood lauri, and many thanks.

on what day are you removing the already caged cells and putting them in the incubator?

I've done some as soon as they were capped, most of them a day or two before expected emergence. Nice to have that flexability if the weather is bad.

got it. thanks again lauri.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast