Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Planting suggestions for covering chain-link privacy fence?

15K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  GuyDurden 
#1 ·
The beeyard I'd arranged unexpectedly fell through and I'm down to Plan C, which means putting hives at my parents' place. The spot we've settled on has vinyl privacy fence on two sides and 6' tall chain-link fence on the remaining two sides. One side of the chain link backs up to an alley, and would definitely need to covered to prevent panic/vandalism, etc.

My original thought was to transplant some hops against the chain link as a privacy screen. Then it occurred to me that I should look into something beneficial for the bees. Any ideas for a fast growing, climbing plant that's drought-resistant and hardy in zone 7? Wisteria is probably a no-go.

#29 ·
Kaeckman: I'm actually in the process of growing English and hybrid Lavender from seed and cuttings. I didn't think they grew tall or fast enough to cover a 6' fence. I figured they might be good for shading vine roots if my plants are successful. I'm also planning on keeping some at the beeyard in pots.

Adam: I got zero interest in blue/black/raspberries at my parents' place. I might get one for the house though.

#30 ·
I ordered some winter hardy kiwi vines last year, and they over wintered well. I cleared out about a half acre of tumberland on our property last week, and will transplant them there as soon as it is warm enough for me to feel like being outside. Im very cold intolerant.

If you are still considering optuons, these might be worth your consideration. Usually, on amazon and thr like, they sell male and female sets of live cuttings at s reasonable rate. They produce lil red grape like "kiwis" year sfter year.

Just snother opinion!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.