Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Planting suggestions for covering chain-link privacy fence?

Or you can try to go in a garden forum to ask if other people have the cuttings to ship to you. I ask for the golden rod plants and got a lot growing now. Some are happy to share some with you. I use to do plants and seeds trading on the web. We still have 2 types of hoyas growing that came from Canada from short 4" cuttings. I wonder if the bees like
    hoyas flowers too.

Thanks for the info, Guy. If you haven't had luck with germinating passiflora seeds on your setup, there's no way I'm going to frustrate myself trying! I am specifically interested in P. incarnata for herbal remedies - it works beautifully with Valerian root as a sleep aid. That said, the prospect of fruit in year one is extremely attractive. Do members of the genus hybridize freely? Would I be screwing up by planting incarnata and eudilis together?

Beepro - thanks also for the tip! Maybe I can get cuttings in trade for hops rhizomes.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutlaw View Post
    Thanks for the info, Guy. If you haven't had luck with germinating passiflora seeds on your setup, there's no way I'm going to frustrate myself trying! I am specifically interested in P. incarnata for herbal remedies - it works beautifully with Valerian root as a sleep aid. That said, the prospect of fruit in year one is extremely attractive. Do members of the genus hybridize freely? Would I be screwing up by planting incarnata and eudilis together?

Beepro - thanks also for the tip! Maybe I can get cuttings in trade for hops rhizomes.
    I'm pretty sure they do hybridize quite freely. I also had an interest in growing incarnata for medicinal reasons, they do quite a bit from what I've read.

Passiflora seed are readily available online, so there must be some success in growing them from seed, just not at my house

I'll look into the hybridization later after work, I don't trust myself answering without some brushing up.

I am so sorry for the delayed response. Busy as a bee (almost!) as spring creeps in. I knew they hybridized, but was unsure the result. I don't know if it will upset your fruits, or if the results of the cross pollination will just yield hybridized offspring. I could not find any info on it, but did find something for you to look over if you wish. http://www.passionflow.co.uk/passifl...ybridizing.htm

I suspect if it is hard to sprout the seeds, as my experience tells me, the main form of propagation will be cuttings. This is very easy with passifloras, even for a newbie. I suggest this if you want more plants. I figure, at best, the hybridization will produce good results, neutral results would be no effect on fruits, and worst case somewhat inferior fruits (they might not have the same texture or sweetness) but I don't think you will have any issues.

If you do grow two different types, post back here and let us know if it does mess with your fruits!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...afloras&_rdc=1

Do that search on EBAY and 601 hits! Fun!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Guy: Thanks for the info and link, very cool stuff. If I can get my hands on multiple cuttings or live plants, I'll try P. incarnata and a fruiting variety.

July: Thanks for the eBay tip, I always forget. Sad, considering I snagged a weeping cherry for $5 that matured nicely despite neglect and several butchered trim jobs.

What about hardy English Lavender,It blooms all summer.

Why not try some blackberries or raspberries? I've got three blackberry and two raspberry vines growing on my chain link fence in the yard my hive is in. Also have a couple blueberry bushes but that doesn't help with the fence situation. I have grapes back there too, but I hear they are not good for chain link fences as you can't maintain them properly. My grapes are on a trellis, but bees love blackberry anyways, so you would kinda benefit doubly.

Kaeckman: I'm actually in the process of growing English and hybrid Lavender from seed and cuttings. I didn't think they grew tall or fast enough to cover a 6' fence. I figured they might be good for shading vine roots if my plants are successful. I'm also planning on keeping some at the beeyard in pots.

Adam: I got zero interest in blue/black/raspberries at my parents' place. I might get one for the house though.

I ordered some winter hardy kiwi vines last year, and they over wintered well. I cleared out about a half acre of tumberland on our property last week, and will transplant them there as soon as it is warm enough for me to feel like being outside. Im very cold intolerant.

If you are still considering optuons, these might be worth your consideration. Usually, on amazon and thr like, they sell male and female sets of live cuttings at s reasonable rate. They produce lil red grape like "kiwis" year sfter year.

Just snother opinion!

I apoligize for the typos, im in between classes on my phone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12