Top Bar Hive Class - Pittsburgh, PA
Register here: http://www.goldstarhoneybees.com/pro...-Classes/144-/
COST: $175.00 (Early Bird – Prior to March 1 - $150.00)
DATE: March 16 and 17, 2013
LOCATION: Burgh Bees
Penn State Extension of Allegheny County
400 North Lexington Street - 3rd floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15208
SCHEDULE: 8:30am to 4:00pm each day. Gather at 8:30, class starts at 9am. Lunch is an hour at noon.
Re: Top Bar Hive Class - Pittsburgh, PA
This is a Gold Star Weekend Intensive class in Top Bar Beekeeping, thanks to Burgh Bees.
Meals are included. Early registration is $150 - until March 1, $175 thereafter.
This class will be taught by Christy (Murtland) Hemenway, author of The Thinking Beekeeper
• "Bee Buzz” - Two full days of learning with an excited group of like-minded folks, concerned about our environment and the health of the honey bee. It's "all bees, all the time"!
• Four "Sessions” - History, Bee Biology, Bee Diseases, Hive Management - each with relevant presentations narrated with pointed details and amusing anecdotes to make the information come alive.
• "How Did We Get Here From There?” - A history of beekeeping through the last couple of hundred years, which has brought us to today’s industrial methods. What effect is this having on honey bees?
• "Terrible Things That Can Happen To Your Wonderful Bees” - Forewarned is forearmed! Know how to recognize pest and disease problems in the hive.
• "When To Do What and Why" -- Hands-on: Instruction/demonstration of hive inspection techniques, comb handling, mite monitoring, wax rendering, hive management methods, splitting, honey harvesting, winterizing.
• "Gold Star Graduates" - you and your fellow students will be part of a growing support system in the future as greener beekeeping methods spread.
• A Certificate of Beginning... Beekeeping is a journey - and we hope that today’s beekeepers continue their journey into a healthier, green future. Students receive a signed certificate marking the beginning of a wonderful journey.