Hybrid View

Default Non-standard frame size: any potential problems?

I'm thinking of building a super for my small transfer/capture TBH (its a 15 bar standard TBH: http://s1339.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=7) as it feels odd to have the box stand empty. The only catch is that the bars I use in my full size TBH and this one are 16.5" long.

So if I build a, for example, medium super for it, that would give me ~15 x 16.5" frames. Other than the length the depth etc would be as for a standard frame. So I guess I'm wondering what am I missing? Thanks.

Default Re: Non-standard frame size: any potential problems?

I didn't realize that there were any TBH standard sizes.

From your post I'm thinking that you are asking if you can super a TBH. It can be done, but is more difficult to have the bees cooperate, since most TBH's would have limited access, through the bars, to the super.

In your second paragraph you switch from discussing Top Bars to Frames. Do you mean Frames designed to replace Top Bars in a TBH?
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Oh I know there isn't a standard TBH, I've standardized my kit to suit the stuff I built when I started so I'm kinda stuck with it now.

What I mean is that the super would have Lang style frames instead of topbars, I'd make some special top bars for the now 'TBH brood box' to allow passage to the super (probably just route 3/16" out of the sides of a couple and site them together). What I'd like is to have some easy to extract comb over the usual crush and strain stuff. I'd base the depth of these frames on what fits into one of my hobby beek friends' extractor (I think his are mediums, but not sure).

Hope that clears things up a bit.....

I have supered them. You do need to route some of the bars to get good communication between the hive and the super. But then the point of a horizontal hive is to eliminate lifting boxes. If you don't mind lifting boxes, you may as well have a vertical hive.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeshorizontalhives.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It sounds very doable.

I have built a TB/Horizontal hive, with top dimensions to allow stacking two 10-frame supers, on top of it, side-by-side. This horizontal hive accommodates normal, deep, Langstroth frames, or Top Bars 19 inches long. It holds 33 deep Hoffman frames. A few years ago I was able to super this colony with 12, 10-frame medium supers (two stacks of six), which were all filled. This successful supering was accomplished while using deep Langstroth/Hoffman style frames with their normal bee space access between Hoffman frame top bars.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Depending on how the frames fit into the extractor you intend to use, shorter top bar lengths may not work well for extracting. Might make sense to check that before you get too far into building.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    ....I have built a TB/Horizontal hive, with top dimensions to allow stacking two 10-frame supers, on top of it, side-by-side. This horizontal hive accommodates normal, deep, Langstroth frames, or Top Bars 19 inches long. It holds 33 deep Hoffman frames. A few years ago I was able to super this colony with 12, 10-frame medium supers (two stacks of six), which were all filled. This successful supering was accomplished while using deep Langstroth/Hoffman style frames with their normal bee space access between Hoffman frame top bars.
    My bees LOVE this design! I did not try supering them yet. But, supering will eliminate the major (to me) advantage of TBH - less-invasive and easy inspections. Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey