Thread: G'day all

Default G'day all

I'm new to honey bees and as keen as mustard to learn as much as I can, I only have one hive which is very basic and consists of a brood box and one super with a excluder between.

I bought a heap of 2nd hand boxes and other gear cheap off ebay and amongst it is a stack of plastic full size frames, I have cleaned them with a preasure cleaner and now I am not sure wether to use them or not, I have been researching a lot about the SHB and the traps that are used, I have noticed that the frames are designed with small square holes around them that is identical to some of the traps and look like perfect hidy holes for the beetle, maybe they were designed before the SHB was a problem.

any thoughts

cheers Kev

Default Re: G'day all

Welcome to the site! I'm a newbie and asked about used equipment too. You will get mixed reviews. Some say it is worth the risk - same risk as collecting a swarm and bringing it to your bee yard......thers say don't mess with used equipment. I ended up listening to the latter and ordered all new boxes yesterday. There is a lot of information on here about it. Good luck and keep us posted on your success or lack of it.

Welcome Kev! Since you washed all the wax off just slop some in the frame holes. I have never seen SHB in the frame gaps. They have plenty of space to occupy in most oversupered hives.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks for the replies, yes I did wonder if I was doing the right thing buying used equipment however I have pressure cleaned and sterilized everything and repainted the boxes, they are now stacked to get rid of the paint smell.

It was a lot of work but I learnt heaps while cleaning it all, the best bit about the purchase is that it was 'pick up only'
    and I got to spend a long time (1.5hrs) with the seller who was a commercial bee keeper for a lot of years, so I got to pick his brains and he said I could ring him anytime if I wanted to know anything, not that I would bother him but it's good to know if I get stuck.

I will have a go at stuffing some wax into the holes of the frames as there are a lot of them and they look too good to throw out, AB what do you mean by oversupered hives, my super (full size) is almost full and I'm not sure wether to add another super to the top or put it under the existing one, also all the extra supers that I have are smaller "Ideal" supers and I was thinking that maybe I should use two to give them more room... but now I don't know.