Default Extracting kit comparison?

I am trying to decide between the Mann Lake and Brushy Mountain extractor kit's?
    M/L is $579.95 w top crank and free shipping. 26 gauge SS
    B/M is $425. + shipping $80.79 = $505.72 and side crank. 22 gauge SS
    Is there that much diffidence in the two Extractors?
    I do know some club members say they wish they had a side crank in stead of top.
    I only have 3 hives at this time but my goal is 10 next year.
    I know some will say don't wast my money on extractor equipment yet but I have the money set aside for is now.
    I was going to start more hives this year but with all the weather set backs my local supplier is having trouble getting nuc's started.
    Your thoughts Please.
    Jim

Default Re: Extracting kit comparison?

BM's 22 ga tank is a heavier weight metal and that should make it sturdier. The side crank is nice, but top or side is a personal preference thing. And I know what you mean about the cash. If you don't use it for what you want when you have it, 9 times out of 10 when you finally need to get it, you won't still have the cash! Been there and done that a BUNCH. (Of course this is JMO since I don't have either one!)

Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty Hills Farm; 05-12-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

>I know some will say don't wast my money on extractor equipment yet but I have the money set aside for is now.

Listen to them. Beg, borrow, sub out or rent it until your apiary is well established. Watch for beekeepers selling out. Buy items as you experience that they are essential.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Listen to them. Beg, borrow, sub out or rent it until your apiary is well established. Watch for beekeepers selling out. Buy items as you experience that they are essential.
    Can I borrow your honey house next weekend Ollie?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Can I borrow your honey house next weekend Ollie?
    They last and KEY word in my suggestion was "RENT". You can beg or borrow it for free if you pay the tax, water and power bill for the property for each month you use the extracting room. I keep the wax.

Why do new beekeepers keep showing up at my shop offering to "partner" with me? OK partner...I will supply the $1.5 million property, the $25K of extracting equipment and the $25K of improvements to make an extracting room, and you"Partner", "friend", "buddy" are supplying WHAT? again?

Show me the money.

I really like my Brushy Mtn extractor. Dont know anything about the Mann lake but I hear it is a nice one as well.
    Like you, I purchased while I had the funds available. NO regrets...
    Tom
    Tater Road Apiary

I have the Mann lake 18/9 and it works great. A lot of people say it is not strong (as opposed too a thicker walled maxant). WELL just today (5-13-13) I was driving down the road in my pickup, minding my own business, when at around 58 miles per hour, I noticed my extractor doing a triple Lindy in the rear view mirror. When I got out of the truck and looked at her I was surprised to find that it only had one bent leg and One dent in the upper rim of the tank. I went to the shop and took the leg off and bent it back and then I took out the basket and used a hammer and a couple blocks of wood to take out the dent in the rim... Works good as new. it seems pretty strong to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg755 View Post
    I have the Mann lake 18/9 and it works great. A lot of people say it is not strong (as opposed too a thicker walled maxant). WELL just today (5-13-13) I was driving down the road in my pickup, minding my own business, when at around 58 miles per hour, I noticed my extractor doing a triple Lindy in the rear view mirror. When I got out of the truck and looked at her I was surprised to find that it only had one bent leg and One dent in the upper rim of the tank. I went to the shop and took the leg off and bent it back and then I took out the basket and used a hammer and a couple blocks of wood to take out the dent in the rim... Works good as new. it seems pretty strong to me...
    Of course it didn't look hurt today, because today is Sunday 5/12/13. It didn't fall out yet. If it fell out on 5/13/13 as you said, look at it tomorrow on 5/13/13, AFTER it fell out. It will probably be trashed.

Wow, time travel.. Who woulda thought it.

After you outgrow the small extractor, you can use it as a cappings spinner or a bottling tank.

If you can wait, you can sometimes find a deal on a used one. Most all of them last forever as they are not utilized that much. I picked up my 20 frame Dadant used for $650. best decision I have made in beekeeping. Now if that silver queen uncapper for cheap will just show up.

I have the mann lake 6/3 I am happy with it. I have used the brushy side crank 2/4. I like the top crank better and the basket on the mann lake. It's a preference between the two. People push maxxant they are better built but to me the price doesn't justify it. I have one that will do all I need for a lot less. When I Have a honey house and run production then maybe maxxant. It is plenty strong, some people just have to try to down something to justify thier expenditures.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

oddfrank - nope looked just the same on monday as it did on sunday when it fell out (less the dent and bent leg I fixed) I am very pleased that it didn't get trashed. I must admit that when I stopped the truck and turned around, I did have to take a second or two to go look at it, I was expecting the worst...

Thank you all for the in put. I am going to order the B/M is $425. + shipping $80.79 = $505.72 and side crank. 22 gauge SS.
    I can get the #804 5 gal. filtering system and still be less than Mann Lake.
    Again Thank you
    Jim