Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building my own stuff

So I decided to build all my own hive stands and inner covers. I built 24 hive stands ans 24 covers today for just under $100.00. I havent painted them yet. I am thinking about building my owns supers next. Any advice? I would like finger joint them. I have most tools, but know idea how to quickly to finger joints. Any suggestions?. I Will post a picture of one of my Stands and inner covers later.

Default Re: Building my own stuff

I am also building everything except frames, and would really like to see your stand and IC designs. I am keeping things very simple and using modern glue (titebond III) and "drywall" type screws to hold everything together. Trying to minimize the amount of end-grain exposed. We will see how things hold up over the season.

Newbeez........

Take a look at dovetailspline.com

I am embarking on the same adventure -- I'd have the wood cut for a nuc box except that I cannot locate a single tape measure at the moment ( I have at least three, but I think my brother walked off with them).

Finger joints are fairly easy on a table saw with a dado blade. Set the blade for exactly 3/4" width and height and attach a backer board to the miter slide on the saw. Get it EXACTLY square (please use a verfied square, don't depend on the scale on the miter!). Make a cut through the backer board, then remove it and glue a 3/4" square piece in the hole. Should stick out at least a couple inches, depending on how many pieces you want to cut at a time.

Put the backer board on the saw and adjust sideways to get the piece you just glued in exactly 3/4" from the blade. This will let you do two things -- start the first slot in the right place and exactly space the rest. Screw the backer to the miter, double check to make sure it's still spaced exactly right

Stand your board on end with the side up against the guide piece and make a cut. Pull the miter back, put the slot you just cut over the guide, and cut again. Repeat until you have all the slots cut.

To cut the mating board, use another 3/4" piece between the guide and the board on the first cut so that you have the slot at the edge of the board instead of offset 3/4", then do the same shuffle as the first board.

Do a test set to make sure everything lines up, but I recommend clamping several to many pieces together for actual production. There are several reasons -- you will make them all the same length that way, cancelling out any uneven cuts on the ends, clamping a pile of boards together eliminates tipping or rotating them while cutting, and it takes about the same time to cut six or eight as it does one! Clamping them up also flattens out any cup, so that the fingers fit better when nailed up, too. A big block of wood also helps you resist the temptation to hold the piece too low and trim your fingers off as well.

I haven't measured yet, but I think I can cut at least six at a time without trouble, maybe eight. Weight is not a problem with the wood standing on the table saw.

You can notch the end pieces either before or after you cut the box joint, it doesn't matter. Might be easier to do it first so you don't cut the wrong end -- I don't think the 3/4" joints come out even on any of the boxes.

For frames for top covers you have to modify the joint a bit to avoid a gap at the end, ditto for inner covers.

My price for a deep using the most expensive option (4 ft 1x12) this way is $11 and a few minutes of time. A medium or shallow will be $6.80, and the price goes down some if I get longer lumber (8 ft or 10 ft, it goes up in price at 12 ft long). A nuc box will be about $8 since I get two from three boards.

Peter

Years ago Barry had a set of instructions for making finger joints but I cannot find it.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

A old man I met this winter showed me how he builds his. He just uses a router tongue and groove and liquid nails and I liked them so much I bought 5 nucs. He has a 100 hives alot of them are old some new and they look great. He uses screws not nails. He said he has built them this way for 40 years. Paint your equipment and maintain the equipment should last for a long time he showed me 20yr old hives still look good. They are like a car keep up the maintenance and you get 200,000 miles little to no maintenance 70000. He uses 1/2 in tounge and groove bit. Pre drill holes important so the tongue does't split the side. Your call later.

You can't find the file, because they aren't "finger joints", they're "box joints". Terminology can be a bugaboo. If only everyone used the same names for the same things - but then wouldn't that be too easy?

Usually, what many woodworkers call finger joints, look like -->

They're cut with a bit that looks like -->

I use a cutter that is very similar to this one shown at Rockler.

beyondthesidewalks, The "box joint" PDF, can be found, here on Beesource, at BOXJOINT.PDF.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    I am also building everything except frames, and would really like to see your stand and IC designs. I am keeping things very simple and using modern glue (titebond III) and "drywall" type screws to hold everything together. Trying to minimize the amount of end-grain exposed. We will see how things hold up over the season.
    I will get a picture up tonight for you

Thanks Peter,
    This with Joseph link is exactly what I needed.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-21-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: excessive quoting

I would suggest you cut at least 4 boards at once. All 4 sides of a box. A jig helps eliminate any differences from batch to batch but is not perfect depending on the jig. When all 4 sides of the box are cut together any differences do not matter. All 4 sides have the same variation. I second the make sure it is square suggestion.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Stack up as many as you can. You will compensate for uneven end cuts if you do, and all the boxes will come out the same size. Not every set will match exactly, but these are for bees after all.

I found four 24" long pieces of 1x8 at Menard's in the cutoff bin today for 89 cents each -- a medium super for $3.56!

Gonna have to get a new throat plate for the table saw though -- the one I have to too narrow for a 3/4" dado blade set. I'll try to pick one up tomorrow at the woodworking store, and will then have my boxes done in a couple days.

Peter

Thanks, Joseph. Barry also PM'd me the link but you beat me to posting it here. I didn't need the credit just wanted the beesource user to have the resource that I knew was here somewhere. Terminology can be a problem.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

I see this question a lot so I figured I would run out and take a picture of my high dollar box joint jig. Yep, a couple of pieces of scrap glued together and screwed to my mitre gauge. I clamped the scrap to the mitre, ran it through the dato, glued in a scrap piece. I moved the finger exactly one width (from a piece of stock)from the blade, screwed it to the mitre gauge. I did upgrade it with another piece of wood to run in the second mitre channel.

I would not cut 4 boards at one time. I think I had the math figured out it was 3,8 foot boards would get you four supers. I have the layout at work if you want it but I seem to think it was 3 longs and 2 short sides from two and the remainder from the last board. I will look it up tomorrow.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Thanks for all the great help. Does anyone know how to upload a picture from an iPad? I want to put up a pic of the stuff I have built so far.

3 long 2 short from one board, 2 long 3 short from the other -- I've been working up cutting lists for all the available sizes to see what is cheapest (12 ft boards are more expensive that 10 ft here).

10 ft works out a bit better -- 5 longs and one short from a board, 1 long and six shorts from the other for three boxes, very little waste. Might have to be a bit careful to get a board without knots in the wrong places, though.

I don't see why cutting four or six boards at once is all that difficult if they are clamped together -- will take just about 1/4 the time, and I really want to make all my boxes at once. Time gets to be a problem once garden season comes 'round.

I like the extra runner -- I'll have to put on on mine when I build it. Should help keep the backer from twisting. I've learned the hard way that material moves all over the place on a table saw if not restrained.

Peter

OH yeah, that’s why I love this site! I have Bushkill queen castles on the table saw, going to cut the hand holds with Whimpies jig and one more way of maximizing my cuts. My local lumber store has 1x12x10’s at $13.19 and x8’ at $10.59. that puts me at $8.79 / deep for the 10’ boards and $8.47 for the 8’ boards. 4 queen castles from CDX @$22, that is $5.50 each (blew a cut so my actual is $7.33 each) That did not come out right. The point is that now if I can get a cheap 10’ I know that I can actually have less waste. I have gone down to cutting two box sides in a pass with clamps on them. I was doing all four clamped together but found I was burning the wood and lifting off of the blade just enough to get a bad cut. Like so many subjects here, JM2c. My wood is not the greatest so I work the boards around the knots so that is why I don’t stack while cutting to length.
    Cut 3 boards with 3L, 2 sh and one board on 1 L 4 short (long =20", Short=16-3/8") Gives 5 sorry it was 4 boards for 5 boxes not 3 boards for 4.
    Last edited by minz; 02-23-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clearify previous post # of boards required.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Newbeez View Post
    Thanks for all the great help. Does anyone know how to upload a picture from an iPad? I want to put up a pic of the stuff I have built so far.
    I signed up on the free site, photobucket.com and download your pictures there and then post your photobucket site back on here or where ever you want to send them.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbeez View Post
    Does anyone know how to upload a picture from an iPad?
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/faq....b3_attachments
    Regards, Barry

[QUOTE=psfred;759282

Gonna have to get a new throat plate for the table saw though -- the one I have to too narrow for a 3/4" dado blade set. I'll try to pick one up tomorrow at the woodworking store, and will then have my boxes done in a couple days.
    Peter[/QUOTE]

Peter , here is a link to making a zero tolerance throat plate for your tablesaw http://www.woodsmith.com/magazine/ex...e-dado-insert/
    easy as pie the wife made me 3 in about 15 minutes while I started working on super side boards.
    we are building all our own woodenware also , we have about 15 boxes ready to be glued up.
    Lee

Good info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast