Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Can you overfeed in winter?

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  ddb123 
#1 ·
I have two hives. I fed them on a warm day last month (high 50s) using the mountain camp method, as I saw that one hive was very low on stores. I fed them both because I didn't want to put myself in the position of needing to open the other hive again in colder weather. Today was in the high 50s again and the bees were flying, so I pulled the top covers off and the bees hadn't used much of the sugar. They had used probably 3/4 cup per hive. Both hives looks good. My plan is to leave them alone for the rest of the winter, then remove the left over sugar. Does this sound right?

Might as well ask a further question. As soon as the temps are consistently in the mid 40s to low 50s, I plan to feed aggressively using the FatBeeMan bucket method in an effort to build my hives up so I can split each once before the flow starts. How does that sound?

Forgive my newbeeness, and thank you for any advice :)

#4 ·
>My plan is to leave them alone for the rest of the winter, then remove the left over sugar. Does this sound right?

Yes, that sounds right.

> I put about 2 cups in each hive.

I'm not sure I see the point. If they are light and I'm using dry sugar, I usually put about 20 pounds on...

#15 ·
If the bees are clustered in the middle, is there anything fundamentally wrong with just pouring the sugar on the inner cover like I did? In other words, do I need to undo what I did?
The bees have to travel up thru the hole in the cover, whereas w/ the newspaper method the sugar is right there above them w/in reach. You may well be fine, which would indicate to me that feeding is unnecassary. To be more effective, remove the inner cover and do as I instructed before.

#11 ·
I have had the same experience- a hive that was fairly light going into winter, that I poured several pounds of dry sugar onto the inner cover in mid December when it was in the low 50s.
We had one cold snap here earlier this month (a snowstorm, highs in the low 30s, lows in the teens for a week), and mild temps (40-50/20s) before that, and progressively warmer temps the last 2 weeks (60s/20s-30s).

Checked them the other day and they had used hardly any of the sugar, were clustered in the center of the single deep right under the inner cover's vent hole. I had spread a little bit of sugar along the top bars, and surprisingly, they hadn't even cleaned that off, as far as I could tell. But they were mean as junkyard dogs when I opened the hive up. So, I pulled out an end frame with (empty) comb, tossed in a feeder, and poured in 1 liter of 2:1 syrup.

I wish I had a better handle on how bees manage their stores, although I read recently that they use 80% of their stores in the last 20% of winter, which is odd- you would think it is temperature dependent and that they use more in mid-winter and less in the milder early/late winter periods. Do they only go for the sugar if they are completely out of stores? Are they able to feed on sugar during the warm days, then keep the hive warm during cold nights even when there is no honey? Does syrup that is fed in a warm period such as now go into cells, or do the bees just suck it down immediately?

#12 ·
From what I have read, the bees actually start building up the hive again at the very end of winter (which would not be the coldest part of winter). The queen starts laying and the hive begins to grow pretty fast. That sounds like why they would use most of their stores at the end of winter as you say. I'm guessing that in really cold weather the bees use less of their stores as they would probably (guessing) have a more difficult time leaving the cluster or moving it. That is why I leaned toward the mountain camp method of feeding, it feeds the bees where they are most likely to already be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.