Default Did my bees abscond?

In summer 2012 I was fortunate enough to get two complete hives. I have been reading all I can and this is what I can tell you.
    When I checked the hives this is what I observed......
    1. The foundations were all pretty much drawn out, with honey, larvae, and newly laid eggs. All seemed fine.
    2. I moved the hives to our property which was in the middle of alfalfa, potato, corn, and mustard fields.
    3. Water was available
    4. I arranged it so no ants would invade
    5. I did not observe any pests (mice, roaches, wasps, mites, moths, etc.)

After I had them on the property for about 1 month a commercial company placed about 50 hives not more than 100' from my hives. Then about 2 weeks later another commercial group placed another 30 hives on the other side of the field to the east. Again not long after a third placed about 10 hives to the east.

I noticed that at night and in the evenings many of the hives right next to mine had what would look like swarm cells on the boxes. I dont think they were swarm cells because it was late in the summer but I dont know. I did take a peek in one of his boxes and it looked crowed?

I was finally stung and found out that I am allergic and had to go the emergency room.

With this in mind I observed from a distance more often than opening the box.

I noticed what looked like robbing (a few fights ensuing) so I reduced the entrance.

One day I went out and the box was empty. No bees, no dead, no honey, no larvae, nothing but a few random wanders?

Did they get overrun by the other hives or can anyone give me an idea what may have happened. Even though I am allergic I dont want to give it up.
    Last edited by dvdpitch; 01-23-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Default Re: Did my bees abscond?

Quote Originally Posted by dvdpitch View Post
    Early this year I was fortunate enough to get two complete hives.
    Really? You mean early 2013?

You have 90 hives within shouting distance, on your property, that belong to other beekeepers? If you are allergic to bee stings, why not just get those other beekeepers to pay for their space in honey?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

What you describe as "swarm cells" was probably bearding of bees on the outside of the hives, basically bees hanging out. Real "swarm cells" are located inside the hive on the frames, they look like a peanut and contain a queen, either for supercedure or real swarming where half the bees leave the hive and find a new home.

Next, just out of curiosity, did you have permission to touch another beekeepers hives? I don't think the owner would be happy that someone else was getting into their hives with out the beekeeper knowing.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Just about. 40 of them are now gone but I think they will be back because they left a bunch of 1 gallon containers many still full of syrup.
    I dont own the property they put the bees on. I dont even own the property I put my bees on.

It is possible your hives got robbed by the other hives. But, normally a strong hive can keep the robbers out. So if yours were getting weaker for some reason the other hives will take advantage. See if you can find a local bee club to find a mentor. Or talk to the other people that keep their bees close to you they maybe willing to help you out. If you are going to order new bees for next year now is the time. If you wait until spring it maybe too late. They sell out quick. Make sure you protect your drawn out comb it will give your new bees a big head start next year.