Default Looking for nucs or package for spring 2013

Hey guys, I'm new to beekeeping and I want to start this spring but I am having trouble finding local nucs or packages of bees. All the online ordering just seems a little expensive when we are talking 100+ for shipping. I am located outside Rochester NY. Any help would be really great. - delta

Default Re: Looking for nucs or package for spring 2013

Welcome to Beesource!

You would do well to contact a local beekeeping club, they are likely to know what options for bees are available locally. Try these folks:
    http://www.rochesterbeekeepers.com/index.html

And on one of their pages was a link to these folks offering nucs, located in Middlesex:
    http://hungrybearfarms.com/index.php...nucs-a-queens-
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

You don't want southern packaged bees if you can help it. They're not accustomed to the north and also you get drawn comb with a nuc. Nucs do sell out fast so if you find some act fast.

I would agree that certain species of bees might be more winter hardy than others... and have many other traits both good and bad for a productive beehive... BUT... I'm no expert... you think bees from the south from ANY species would not have good wintering traits just because they were BORN in the south? If a queen is raised in the north in spring... she hasn't been through a winter yet either. You think she can be bred to survive winter just because she was reared in the north? Just wonderin'.....

There's a variety of factors but yes genetics plays a large role and certain species are prevalent in the south like Italians. Carns are a better species for the North and queens from queens who survived a northern winter likely have the genetics to repeat their success.

I understand what you just said... BUT.. if a Carn or Russian package is produced in mobile alabama.... you are saying it is less likely to survive winter because where it was produced. I would say the genetics that it carries is what makes it a winter hardy species NOT where it was produced... just sayin'. dont wanna highjack this thread... personally I would recommend a GOOD queen breeder no matter where the bee is produced.... I would take a good ANYTHING over a poorly raised package from someone no matter where they live. Personally I am partial to Italians (from the SOUTH ) .... and I know they will survive your winters also But.. they DO have that strong SOUTHERN accent ... just gotta get used to it..... but they will make you a LOAD of honey

Bees do breed with other varieties so northern bees likely will have breed with other winter survivors. LOL, compared to New England MS has one season called warm

And I do know for a fact that there have been MILLIONS of southern Queens sent to the north... and live. It's OK.. you suggest to Delta to get a Nuc... I would say that is good advice if he can get them. But I also say that there is no reason to be afraid to buy a southern packkage only because you live in the north.... people have been doing it for 150 years. If winter hardy is your primary objective.... get Russians... there's a couple very good breeders here in Mississippi that raise Russians..... being they are packaged in Mississippi I THINK will have very LITTLE to do with their ability to survive....
    BUT... Delta can do a lot of reading on the forum and get his own ideas.... Just sayin.... most are produced in the south because of our climate so that YOU can get them earlier and get them started to make your crop, but it DOESN't mean they will not survive your winters just cuz they were packaged in the south....
    Happy beekeping...
    But iffin' (southern slang, I use with license, Mississippi NATIVE) you DO decide to get Italians (a pretty Cordovan can't be beat)... from a good breeder.... better have some extra boxes You will probably need 'em. AND THATS WHY WE RAISE BEES

Delta,
    There's a guy in Cattaragus who had a couple nucs left for April availability a few days ago.
    I've bought queens from him in the past with excellent results.

And as to north /south bees ..many northerners with *experience* with with southern-sourced bees overwintering in the north far prefer northern bees for survivability/thrivability.

'course a fellow who just might be getting back into bee production in the south would likely have a different opinion.

If you'd like the contact info for the gent in Cattaragus pm me.
    I doubt they'll last long so don't wait if you are interested

OK.. I'm shameless I admit it... But I still stand by my opinion.... was not plugging ME ... but I do know of quite a few GOOD bee producers that happen to reside in the south.. choose what race of bees you want yes.... but north/ south I would say is of little matter... FWIW

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, Sippy, just some opinions are more qualified than others.

How many winters have you hived bees in upstate New York, anyway?

Thanks guys, messaged the local beekeeping group a few days ago still didn't get a response. May not be to many people watching the email. I saw the one for sale in middle sex but thats all the way in ny city which is 4+ hrs away one direction. I was hoping to find someone like with in an hour....I really hate driving , I know nucs are best but for some reason I am leaning towards a package so I may Watch them as they progress and know also that I am starting with all new clean equipment and not end up bringing something to my colony that was not there before... Am I just being weird or any one else feel this way when they started? Also any suggestions of questions I should ask a person if I end up looking to buy from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    I saw the one for sale in middle sex but thats all the way in ny city which is 4+ hrs away one direction. I was hoping to find someone like with in an hour...
    New York City?

Here's the contact information for the nuc provider I linked to in my initial post:
    Hungry Bear Farms
    Our Farm:
    Middlesex, NY 14507

Bee Store Location:
    The PC & Wireless Shop (located inside)
    699 South Main Street
    Canandaigua, NY 14424

http://www.hungrybearfarms.com/index.php/contact-us
    If you are in Rochester NY, Middlesex is about 40 miles away and Canandaigua is about 30 miles. What am I missing here?

Also, the Rochester Beekeepers Club page has a phone number. Did you try calling it?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Wow I feel dumb... I googled middlesex ny and it kept puting me in the middle of ny city, my bad. Thank you rader!

Found a great locally raised and split wintered nuc from a very helpful beekeeper I will update everyone once I see it. Thanks for all the help if anyone local wants to know just pm me and I will give you the info.