Hybrid View

Default Looking for nucs or package for spring 2013

Hey guys, I'm new to beekeeping and I want to start this spring but I am having trouble finding local nucs or packages of bees. All the online ordering just seems a little expensive when we are talking 100+ for shipping. I am located outside Rochester NY. Any help would be really great. - delta

Default Re: Looking for nucs or package for spring 2013

Welcome to Beesource!

You would do well to contact a local beekeeping club, they are likely to know what options for bees are available locally. Try these folks:
    http://www.rochesterbeekeepers.com/index.html

And on one of their pages was a link to these folks offering nucs, located in Middlesex:
    http://hungrybearfarms.com/index.php...nucs-a-queens-
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

You don't want southern packaged bees if you can help it. They're not accustomed to the north and also you get drawn comb with a nuc. Nucs do sell out fast so if you find some act fast.

I would agree that certain species of bees might be more winter hardy than others... and have many other traits both good and bad for a productive beehive... BUT... I'm no expert... you think bees from the south from ANY species would not have good wintering traits just because they were BORN in the south? If a queen is raised in the north in spring... she hasn't been through a winter yet either. You think she can be bred to survive winter just because she was reared in the north? Just wonderin'.....

There's a variety of factors but yes genetics plays a large role and certain species are prevalent in the south like Italians. Carns are a better species for the North and queens from queens who survived a northern winter likely have the genetics to repeat their success.

I understand what you just said... BUT.. if a Carn or Russian package is produced in mobile alabama.... you are saying it is less likely to survive winter because where it was produced. I would say the genetics that it carries is what makes it a winter hardy species NOT where it was produced... just sayin'. dont wanna highjack this thread... personally I would recommend a GOOD queen breeder no matter where the bee is produced.... I would take a good ANYTHING over a poorly raised package from someone no matter where they live. Personally I am partial to Italians (from the SOUTH ) .... and I know they will survive your winters also But.. they DO have that strong SOUTHERN accent ... just gotta get used to it..... but they will make you a LOAD of honey