Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What Needs To Be Done?

Quote Originally Posted by DC Bees View Post
    I was thinking about building one of the stable climate hives, the problem is I am no good with metrics. Do you know a way to transfer over from metric to standard measurements, thanks?
    http://www.metric-conversions.org/le...-to-inches.htm

Or, take a leaf from the British (of a certain age) and get an international tape measure with both calibrations!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    And I do not prophetically treat for AFB but recent reports of AFB somewhat close to me may have me reconsider this.
    Andrew, I enjoy reading your posts, so I'm just having a little fun here. I suspect you are not really a prophet. Perhaps you meant prophylactically?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prophylactic
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prophetically
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I think habitat destruction and mono cropping along with GMO crops is a major concern if not more threatening than mites over the long term. Here in N. Fl the native plants and wild flowers that used to support bee populations are being wiped out by folks that can’t stand to see a weed in their manicured yard or the farmer that sprays herbicides on every foot of fence line. Hundreds of acres are being converted to sod farms. Plant more native plants
    Im really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Andrew, I enjoy reading your posts, so I'm just having a little fun here. I suspect you are not really a prophet. Perhaps you meant prophylactically?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prophylactic
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prophetically
    The joys of spell check. And I'm married to a high school English teacher so I should take spell check mistakes for granted. What more can I say?
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Do you know a way to transfer over from metric to standard measurements, thanks?
    Do a Google serch
    Im really not that serious

Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    What needs to be done now?

You all need to learn how to raise your own bees...by wintering nucleus colonies. These will replace your weak and dead colonies and give you the back up bees you need.

You need to participate in a breeding program by either raising good queens from your best colonies, or buying queens from a local producer who does.

You need to get those queens into your wintering nuclei, and get those nuclei into the apiaries of the people in your state/neighborhood.

You need to educate the people on how to make and winter their own nucs with these locally produced queens.

You need to end your dependence on the package bee industry, and the endless treadmill you're all on.

Trying to raise the silver bullet queen that will solve all our beekeeping issues isn't going to happen. This is a long term solution with two steps forward and one step back.
    I am a student of the Webster/Palmer School Of Sustainable Beekeeping/Agriculture. Thank you.

Thanks for the info on metric conversion.

Google has a unit conversion function built in.

'5 inches in cm' will give you the conversion of 5 inches to centimeters. Google is setup for all kinds of units (you can convert between miles and millimeters....even includes "smoots" as a unit of measure).

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post

...learn how to raise your own bees...by wintering nucleus colonies....
    ...participate in a breeding program...raising good queens...or buying queens from a local producer...
    ...get those queens into your wintering nuclei, and get those nuclei into the apiaries of the people in your state/neighborhood.
    ...educate the people on how to make and winter their own nucs...
    This is some of the advice I'm taking forward in my own efforts.

Adam

Originally Posted by Michael Palmer

...learn how to raise your own bees...by wintering nucleus colonies....
    ...participate in a breeding program...raising good queens...or buying queens from a local producer...
    ...get those queens into your wintering nuclei, and get those nuclei into the apiaries of the people in your state/neighborhood.
    ...educate the people on how to make and winter their own nucs...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    This is some of the advice I'm taking forward in my own efforts.

Adam
    Lets be honest, it's just plain quality. One of the best posts I've seen in ages. -Get the basics right and take personal responsibility.

Do you know a way to transfer over from metric to standard measurements, thanks?
    With all my respect - metric IS standard all around the globe but US. 1 in = 25.4 mm
    Серёжа, Sergey