Hybrid View

Default What Needs To Be Done?

Considering all of the problems that bees face today, I want to know, as beekeepers, what you would do to solve these problems? I know you have thought about it, and I know you have figured out what you would do. So, if you had the time, the money, and the resources you needed to do it, please tell me, WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TODAY?

Default Re: What Needs To Be Done?

welcome to beesource hank. obviously you have been reading some threads here.

good question. it would be easier to answer if you listed all the problems specifically.

what of all the problems you mentioned would you consider the worst?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I want to know which problem you think is worse, and what you would do to challenge it, and beat it. I am not qualified to make that call. That is why I come to you, the professionals on BeeSource. What would you do, tomorrow morning, if saving the bees was your one and only quest in life, and you had everything you need to attack?

very cool hank, glad you asked.

the answer is that i would be doing exactly the same thing i'm doing now.

and it's pretty much the same thing that folks who are intrigued be bees have been doing for centuries, and that's trying to figure it out.

the challenge is, as is often with a lot of things in life, by the time you get it figured out the rules change......

do you have bees, or just thinking about it?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Though I will probably get blasted for this answer (since I usually hang out in "treatment free"), Im going to answer kinda like Squarepeg - what Im doing right now. I kinda live by Michael Bush's motto "Everything works if you let it." For my part, I do everything possible to let the bees take care of themselves.

Ensure a wide variety of genes. Starting out I looked for feral, survivor, hygenic, and other "non-factory" raised queens from various sources to create a good base for the gene pool. Not only will their daughters lay from many gene pools, this will promote swarms that will be able to survive in the wild and adapt - hopefully providing a source for more survivor swarms.

Feed - Im not talking about sugar (though there is a time and place for that). Though my bees are in an area with acres of maple, pine, privet, wildflowers, and blackberries, I also have about a 2 acre orchard, 35 acres of clover, sunflowers, and non-sprayed row crops and I rotate plantings of buckwheat in the "dry spells". Put your bees in an area where they can thrive.

Inspect and manipulate regularly. Provide equipment when needed and remove when its not. Stagger frames to discourage swarming. vent when its hot, wrap when its too cold.

Basically the bees know what they are doing and we only weaken their survivability when we do so many treatments - they come to rely on them and do not adapt defences. "Everything works if you let it."

That sounds like a very intelligent approach. Thank you.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-22-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: excessive quotes