Default Winter Hive Insulation

What is your method for insulating your hives for winter if necessary

Default Re: Winter Hive Insulation

1 3/4" foil-backed rigid foam insulation cut to fit under the outer cover. I think this is the most important, and really simple thing to do. Tarpaper wrap when I'm ambitious (5 of 7 hives this year). Mouse guard (SS from Mann Lake) and block most of lower entrance. Reverse inner cover ("swimming pool in summer, igloo in winter" as they say). Occassionally, I'll pull boards part or all the way from SBB for ventillation with dry winter air, except when it is in single digits or harsh wind - and it probably would be most beneficial then re. condensation in reality. I feed sugar blocks with a 3" spacer - that might help soak up some random water vapor - maybe not.

I wrap with tar paper and put a super full of pine shavings on top.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    I wrap with tar paper and put a super full of pine shavings on top.
    For top feeding right now I cut some roof insulation to fit inside the empty super and then cut a circular hole for the 1/2 gallon jar of honey.
    I put the paper side down on the inner board and left loose space right above the board for water vapor can escape. That all the insulation that I use.
    I also use duck tape to cover cracks between hive body and super when I cracked open the hive during last week's warm weather.

I wrap my hive with mylar backed 1/2" bubble wrap, add 15lbs of patties on top full honey super, place a super filled with birch sawdust, and place a 2" blue board box around the hive, with 2" air space, and cover the blue board with black tar paper. My winters are long, and 100+ lbs of honey required. IMG_0164.jpg