Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Burlap for Inner Covers?

14K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  mike haney 
#1 ·
I have been using those plastic feed bags for inner covers, but I'm short on those and have a bunch of nice burlap coffee sacks. I also don't love the way the plastic stuff gets 'stringy' and you end up contributing plastic shreds to the yard. If I could use burlap, any that get too shaggy can go right into the smoker.

Has anyone tried burlap for an inner cover, or would the bees chew it up? Or perhaps there's another reason not to use it.

I've also thought about using canvass, so any thoughts on that could help too...

Thanks,

Adam

#6 ·
when I used inner covers, mine were wooden,
at times when I needed a seal on top, I would use plastic or burlap, which ever I had available
I much preferred the burlap
It head a better seal, and it did not blow all over the place while working the hive

I never had it on long enough to have it propolize, so I imagine that my be a draw back,
Adrian, the plastic Adam was referring to would shred likely because it is lighter duty plastic

#8 ·
Adam, You can purchase woven burlap at a fabric store. Cut into pieces to fit top bars and leave a
2" space in front for the bees to come up and feed on cremed honey or fondant. Use a rim not an inner
cover and the bees can take flight if necessary. Put burlap on in early fall and it will peel off in early
spring even though they propolise it.

#13 ·
We have a large organic/fair trade coffee roaster near here, and they throw out a large amount of coffee sacs, which they say even the dyes in the printing are non-toxic, vegetable dyes and they have no insecticides. I've used the burlap in the smoker all season, and it seemed good. Never got the bees too upset - didn't seem to harm anything. Smelled fine too.

I find that the plastic feed bags are fine, but I don't have any more and haven't got a source for more. I'm sure I could find them if I try though. It's just that I have the burlap on hand and like the "natural" quality of the fabric.

The plastic feed bags are shredding because they've been cut to fit. I don't expose them to the sun. The cut edges fray easily. Now, I believe there are different weights of the stuff, and a heavier weight may not be as bad. I find this stuff to be too light, and it blows around when you take it off, so you have to weigh it down with something when removed. I found one way to help with fraying is to burn the edges so that they are sealed a bit.

The burlap I have is dense, and heavy - not the kind you get at garden supply. You can't see through this stuff. It may fray, as Mike Palmer suggests, so perhaps it would need to be stitched - and that would be a pain.

Adam

#10 ·
Warres use burlap with no troubles. If you use burlap I would suggest using the flour paste that Warre did. It reduces the chewing that bees will inevitably do.

http://www.dheaf.plus.com/warrebeekeeping/preparing_hessian.htm

I will second what some have said about wicking moisture. You just need to make sure that you have a telescoping cover. If rain hits it, you will be in trouble. Otherwise the wicking thing really isn't an issue.

I used burlap for a good solid year and didn't have any issues with strings everywhere. Then again I used the flour paste which hardens it up a bit.

#21 ·
sorry, but im retired now and no longer have access to the reference library-never used it anyway,we just asked the lawyers (GE) but anything,and especially edibles,imported from Mexico/SouthAmerica/China was required to be treated with insecticide. i doubt the government regulations have eased any (LOL) but if you really want to see the regs with your own eyes i'll ask some of my friends still working. pretty thick stuff, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.