Hybrid View

Default PVC board for hive construction??

Has anyone ever built or thought about building there hive out of PVC board that is used for exterior trim work on houses? Or can you use it?

Default Re: PVC board for hive construction??

Most people will say that if it doesn't breathe, its not a good idea. I'd agree with that, but I have seen fiberglass hives and someone on here talked about making some aluminum hives that worked well.

I don't know if I would use it for hive bodies do to the expense, but I have used scraps from construction sites to make landing boards, it works great and never rots.

There is a type of PVC board called "Versatec" and last year I made several bottom boards, the frames for tops and 2 honey supers. At the end of the first year (except the honey super which was not used), they appear to be working great. Normal PVC glue will not work, it takes a special type. Can't recall the name right now, but, can look it up.

I tried it on a shallow super, and "Versatec" worked great, but the glue dries very fast, not much time to work with it. You can pre drill holes and nail or screw, only problem I found is, if you are off center only a small amout, the board will chip out.

Versatec works well in all operations, sawing, ripping, planing, box joints, rabbet etc.

Last year I was told one of my customers had a lifetime supply of cutoffs, 4 and 8 inch width, 2 to 4 ft. length. Unfortunately, after receiving a small amout, I haven't been able get any more. Don't know if it would be feasible to buy it.

I especially liked the Versatec for the box frame for tops, and the side rail for bottom boards, but, did not get around to putting a honey super on, so can't report on that.

Is versatec the type of PVC you were talking about?? I suppose there are others.

cchoganjr

I've tried a marine grade pvc board that is 3/8" thick. It worked well and looked good at first but last summers temps in the full sun caused it to soften and deform. I have also experimented with aluminum framed hive bodies with pvc board and also thin wood. Nothing I have found works better than the tried and true method of using wood boards. Its probably cheaper and certainly dryer than pvc, but that's just my opinion.

Cleo, believe the boards I looked at were the Versatec ill have to double check. I'm just trying to think of a product that is very low maintenance with a long life span. The PVC board is weather resistant and I believe it's also termite resistant. It is a bit pricey up front but long term you won't have to replace or repaint ever so many years.