Default Bee package installation

I know there about a zillion ways to install a package, well maybe a tad less than a zillion. lol

I have seen the shake and dump method over all the 8 or 10 frames, the remove frames and dump method then install frames and recently the remove frames and install the whole package method.
    This last method is installed either by removing enough frames (5) to accomodate the box (upright) or laying the box sideways on the top bars (10) and adding another med super box, inner cover outer cover, yada yada yada.

Question is, what is your preferred methodology and why?

We all have cabin fever, but let's bee civil.

Default Re: Bee package installation

Remove some frames, shake in the bees, gently put the frames back, hang the queen cage.

You want the bees on the frames as quickly as possible, the queen in the center, and the hive closed up. Best to do this on a cool day in the late afternoon, but it really doesn't matter that much.

The less you poke about with it the better, ideally you will only open the hive in a day or two to release the queen if she's not already out and then no more than once a week to check on things. Putting the shipping container in there, shaking them out in front, and all the other thing's I've seen recommended interfere with getting the bees on frames making wax and raising brood, which is what you want.

An old brood comb helps quite a bit, the bees like them a lot, and the queen will be laying as soon as she's out of the cage and will likely lay the whole frame on both sides in a couple days.

Peter

FatBeeMan does it pretty well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PyEq2bWBvs

I prefer removing 5 frames and setting the package inside. It was the way I was taught and stuck with it despite trying shaking. I only have to install a few packages a year, it works for me. If you have a lot of packages to hive, then this way may not be for you because you have to visit the hive the next day to remove the empty package, if not you'll have a comb mess.