Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Is this a queen?

6K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  NasalSponge 
#1 ·
I found this on the front of my hive... Hope the pictures are clear enough. She's been long dead. On my hive that was dwindling.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
The eyes were really tiny, but I didn't know how old, dead bee eyes might look. The thorax was what concerned me. Isn't that what joins the head to the body??? The wings looked a little big tho. Well ok... I won't worry as much. Hub thought maybe a moth. Stomach looks very queen. Thanks all.

#16 ·
I have a nuc I may steal a frame of eggs from and substantiate the hive. Can I do that any warm day over 50? And what are the logistics for stealing a frame in cold weather? The hives are only about 25 feet apart. Do I put the frame of larva into a thermal bag to transport to the new hive and let it sit while I open up the other, full-size hive? Or should I wait till April and see what I've got?

#18 ·
".... Do I put the frame of larva into a thermal bag to transport to the new hive and let it sit while I open up the other, full-size hive? Or should I wait till April and see what I've got?..."
Open the weak hive,remove an empty frame-an outside one is usually safe
Shake/brush all the bees back into the hive. Spread the brood nest to make room for the doner frame,leave hive open.
Go to the strong hive, select frame of brood-leave bees on it but be certain no queen.Drop in empty frame in the space,close hive.
Walk to the weak hive ,lightly smoke the space you made to run the bees(and especially the queen out) drop the frame in and close it up.
Good Luck, Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.