Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Made 50 migratory bottom boards, here's some photos

Benjamin,

Nice job on the assembly. Hope they work well for you. Looking at the photos I am wondering about the screws you are using. It has been my experience that the coating on the screws can make all the difference in the longevity of both the screws and the life of your assembly job. From the color I'm seeing in your pics I'm not sure the coating on the ones you have used are of what I would call "long life grade."

Very nicely done, I like your concept and before I bought my AJ100 I would do something almost like you have done. Moving the hives can be a chore, you could build a small dolly that would really help in moving and placing your hives. Broodhead

Those are good looking Benjamin.
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction! C.M. Russell

OK, here are pictures of my bottom boards inspired from this post. I wanted to do divided bottoms to do divided deeps (already built a bunch).
    I did not want to plane down the lumber. I got burned out doing that for a full day and could not bring myself to fire that thing up.
    Everything with the grain is glued and nailed, everything cross grain was primed and painted and screwed (or nailed) with the paint wet (HarryV). Anything with multiple fasteners had one fixed and the rest slotted. All fasteners were attempted to be under the deep. All ends were primed and painted.
    Bottoms look like the others
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...psabe089a9.jpg
    Tops are divided with and entrance on both sides facing the opposite direction:
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9ed2512f.jpg
    Close up, just a thin piece of wood with a roofing nail driven through it painted first.
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...ps52442c35.jpg
    Yes, that is sun in Portland in March, not trick photography.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Did you use Plywood?
    MDO?

100% Solid rough cut hemlock (about 1 1/16" thick). Actually, I had 3 biscuits on each of the edge jointed pieces but I don't count that. I only have about 800 BF left to build stuff with.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

I'll take 20, please bill odfrank.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

westernbeekeeper, nice design but why even bother screwing the 2x4's to the 1x's, titebond III is all you really need, with 3 1/2 inches of surface area for the glue it is more than enough in my opinion, they're just bottom boards. If you insist on screws why not shoot the screw in from below instead of from on top, that way you don't see the screw head on the landing board. John

I think the wood grain is in two different directions, it would not be able to hold (IMHO). With the temp extremes he is looking at the best case would be that the wood would split along the grain and the board would tear itself apart (like running conduit or pipe across a bridge) even with the glue holding the surface.

I just made 120 of the same type. I add clips and Cleats to mine and paint them all sorts of colors but, same design 1/2 bee ways on 3/4 ply. I get the tongue and groove and cut off the tongue and groove part it is cheaper.