Default Main Flow Start California

Does anyone know when main flow starts in California? Is it when almonds start blooming? Is it the fresh white wax combs an indication?

Thanks,

Ion

Default Re: Main Flow Start California

Nobody knows exactly when the main flow starts because we have many different micro climate in California. Even a half hour drive to another nearby city the weather changed quite a bit. One side is raining while the other side is sunny. But it seems like the further south is warmer than the further north location. L.A. grow the tropical plants all year long that we cannot grow over here. The warm weather has to do with the flow of things including nectar and pollens. I will keep a closer look at the flows of things this year. But every year is different a bit I think. I know that around March the warmer weather picks up a bit. You can feel the warm breezy Spring air blowing just like early Fall. So I would guess around April to May is the best time for the honey bee season here. Also, we have a late Fall flow too from August to October(last year) then the queen shuts down after that. I started beekeeping early this Fall on 2012 so this part I can monitor. It all depends on mother nature to do her works for us this year.
    Talking to a beekeeper today, he said it is harder now. But I did not ask him what is hard maybe he meant the weather here this year. We'll just have to wait to see then. Maybe an experienced commercial beekeeper might be able to help with this answer.

>Nobody knows exactly when the main flow starts because we have many different micro climate in California.

Exactly, every neighborhood is different. Depends on your weather and honey plants. If you are near Eucalyptus globulous it might have started aleady and run for months. In San Mateo the heavy flow months are usually April and May, but there are flows and trickles all year from different plants blooming. Suburban Sacrament might be similar. Ask Ray Marler. I have a site near San Jose where the heavy flow is June and July.

I think once you have been keeping bees for a few years, you'll start to see when the flows are year after year, and that will be a good gauge. Obviously things can vary, but it's a good general window. I keep a log of bloom dates - it's actually pretty fun to go back over and see how things are changing from year to year. Here in my neighborhood in Redwood City, we've got tons of flowering pear which my girls love. When I take the dog on a walk, I look up and see and hear the buzz happening. Love it! Best bet is to have a good general idea and be ready with supers.

This is what ive noticed around Livermore: The mustard should be blooming or is starting to bloom now, ive seen it blooming in some areas already, good pollen plant it seems. Like Ollie said, Eucalyptus with the big white globes are blooming right now and seem to go for a couple months. The privet trees started blooming last year in mid February and were covered in bees. Citrus started blooming in March. Almonds in February. Manzanita was around March or April I believe, rosemary was in April I believe, Wild black berries started blooming in May. Star thistle started blooming in July through September , although it was very sparse, not even enough to feed the bees! September started seeing the tar weed bloom which helped my country bees with pollen and nectar.

City bees are where its at, food all year long from something blooming at all times!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

No natural flow yet. Maybe in March or April is the real one. Planting some plants to help them along before then. I try to help them a bit by planting late frost resistant vegetables and herbs like canola, mustard, broccoli, snow peas, kohlrabi, collard and borage. The borage and sunflower I plant them in a pot. The canola and mustard bloom all year long so that will help in the winter time. But not enough compared to a real natural flow. Maybe I am thinking to have acres and acres of canola or mustard that would help a lot.

Here there is some mustard, & eucalypti in bloom. ornamental fruit trees will start in a couple weeks followed by regular fruit trees.
    In the summer June July we get some good honey from california privet.
    Dan

Default Harvest July-August in Sacramento?

Hello:
    Is there (possible) a honey harvest in July-August within Sacramento city limits (urban)? Given strong hives, of course.

Thanks.

Default Re: Harvest July-August in Sacramento?

For sure! I may be extracting the first round next month! The bees are packing it away and capping it!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I believe I'm zone 9b here. Not sure what's coming in right now.

Watch the landing boards. Fat bees or pollen loaded? I've got pollen coming in here right now. Not sure from what.

Here toward the coast we never stop flowing! The suburban landscape is in full bloom, the wild landscape already did their manzanita coyote bush bloom. Hotter climates are getting ready to go into a dearth. It all depends on where you are and what is around you, watch the bees they will let you know!