Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: looking for advice on bee suit

I think the my single defining issue with any suit/veil is that it has brim. I've had many a sun burned face in the sheriff type suit/veil. When I was a hobbyist I just used an old white long sleeve shirt and a tie veil which was in my truck pretty much all summer long. I wear a full suit with velcro cuffs and the works for moving hives in poor weather or at night and a pollinator jacket for 95% of what I do. As I get oler I think a magnification eye type google (picture a fighter pilots helmet) would be nice because I hate looking through foggy, sweat covered lookers all the time.

This is what I usually wear....

But when they are in a bad mood I throw on my Ultrabreeze jacket and I am good to go! Personally I wouldn't have anything else.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

For the first five years or so, I wore jeans, a veil, and an old white shirt. Got an UltraBreeze jacket-hood combo for Christmas one year and like it a lot - much cooler and more comfortable working my bees.

The tyvek painter overalls work very well as far as being sting-proof, but are extremely hot to wear.

This is the latest technology, especially for those hot days, unveiled to the public during Berlin Fashion Week

44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Now there's a tulle veil for ya. Perfect for both hot days and cold nights. "Honey, does this veil make my.......". Better not go there.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I'll take 2 please.

Hey Jim, we have some serious topics to cover at the next Secret Order of the Tulle meeting!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Baldursson View Post
    I'll take 2 please.
    Considered getting one but nah, couldn't wear it. People would lose their fear of the bees completely, in their fright trying to run away from me!
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

You say in your post that you are trying to avoid the expense of a full bee suit so what I'm about to post will probably be irrelevant to you, but I researched and purchased the Ultra Breeze Suit from the original manufacturer at the following web site http://ultrabreezesuits.com/. I love the suit! It was developed by a guy that had to work his own bee hives in the heat and humidity of Oklahoma, he was inspired to develop a better bee suit that would be cool, comfortable and sting resistant.

I just wear a sun shade helmet with a veil, a long sleeve shirt tucked into my jeans, which are tucked into my socks. It's cheap, and if you think tulle gets chicks, you should see them with the "pants tucked into socks" look.

I usually wear my ultra breeze jacket, with netrile gloves the kind you're doctor uses.
    Get the gloves at Costco, very cheap, & no need to clean them.
    Dan