Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default looking for advice on bee suit

Hi all
    I am considering what type of protective clothing to use. I have gotten advice from none to full bee suit. I am trying to avoid the expense of a full bee suit.
    What do you use for body protection? I was told that a one-piece painter overall would provide enough protection. I looked at them today and they are very thin, so i am thinking that wouldn't be very effective.

Also, features do you recommend in the veil? There are so many options that I am getting confused.
    Your thoughts?
    Val

Default Re: looking for advice on bee suit

Bees can sting through pigskin gloves. I have not been stung though the cowhide gloves yet. that said i don't think it matters what type of suit you buy there is a chance to be stung. at times when working bees at night loading/unloading them i would prefer a full suit. for day to day inspections a jacket with attached veil is preferred. as for the material i use to have a cotton jacket but now have a nylon jacket from walter t kelly. i prefer the nylon over the cotton (lighter, dries out quickly, bees can't hold on, less stings, ect...)

this is just my 2 cents. i am sure everyone has there own opinion.

Michael
    Michael Leach
    www.nabeehive.com

Quote Originally Posted by vnatzke View Post
    Also, features do you recommend in the veil? There are so many options that I am getting confused.
    Your thoughts?
    Val
    If you dare, the "Secret Order of the Tulle" is still accepting membership.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...n-Your-Opinion
    Regards, Barry

I wear a full suit, gloves and all (I call it my "bee armor"); I have a moderate allergy, so not getting stung is something of a must. I rather like it. It's been pretty much bee-proof (one did get up the leg once -- ouch!), wears well, and is easy to get in and out of. The downside of a full suit is that it makes me sweat a bit in hot weather -- an acceptable trade-off.

I'm with you on the veils. I actually destroyed the hood on my suit this past fall , and so am getting a veil to replace it. My hope is that it'll be cooler. My fear is that it won't be as bee proof as I need. I'm going with the standard square one you see for ~$15, unless someone who knows better can convince me otherwise.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

I made a veil, sewed nylon mesh on one of my old hats and tuck it into my ski jacket collar. I tie my pants to my boots. I have one hive and one sting lol she got stuck in my jacket cuff. This is my first year... In summer I started going without jacket or gloves but will NOT go without the veil.

I have never used a full suit before, just jeans and shoes/work boots. I have the veil jacket combo. I just bought a ventilated jacket/veil combo from Mann Lake, should be here this week! I have used the regular white jacket, but it gets so dang hot in the summer! I'm looking forward to going shirtless under my ventilated outfit just to stay cool!

I like the fencing veil personally, as I always wear a ball cap and it is just comfortable to me!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Depends on how hot your bees are. Fencing jacket with attached wide view veil is cooler, over blue jeans, and I get my nitrile chemical resistant gloves at home depot for less than $10 - haven't been stung through them yet. Glove over sleeve, really hot hive, duct tape over point where they meet.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

I have both full body and just the jacket, both have integrated veil. I like the full body cause no one is getting in, while wearing just my jacket I bent down to set a box on the ground, my jacket hiked up a bit and one of the girls reminded me that plumber butt is not cool, got me right above the crack! YEEEEEE OOOOOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHH!!!!

Now I use my full body suit, it is a little hotter but I will deal with a little extra sweat!
    Steve Wenger
    Gentleman farmer/7 year Bee Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you dare, the "Secret Order of the Tulle" is still accepting membership.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...n-Your-Opinion
    A timely observation "Brother Barry". alas the "Secret Order of the Tulle" isn't for everyone. Only those looking for something light, cool, comfortable and bee proof plus chicks dig it too.
    PS A Tulle veil will not protect one against bee invasion caused by PBS (plumbers butt syndrome)
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I started with a full suit and in the fall months the bees seem more aggressive due to lack of food sources. I'd rather have it just in case rather then not have one at all.

I like the fencing veil. I have three different types due to getting them for my kids as well. Some people do not like the peripheral view issue of the fencing veil. It does not bother me.

I only got a jacket. jeans and shoes do the rest. my big problem is my hands or wrists if the sleeve separates from my glove. I also have to watch for the jacket riding up above my belt in the back. Otherwise I have not been sting anywhere but the hands and they are not nearly as well protected.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I typically use a jacket with attached veil, ventillated gloves, jeans, t shirt, tennis shoes.
    For an aggressive situation ( I can recall one void removal last year) I will incorporate the use of boots and rubber bands.
    Still got stung right through the suit and jeans.
    I have the one below but in a jacket form. The veil has no blind spots and I get good shade on my face.
    Got this pic from mann lake.

cv-301_poly-hat-veil-suit-small.jpg

I have the full suit , I find it too hot in the summer , but knowing I am well protected makes it easier to remain calm when carrying out bee yard duties like taking out frames for extraction , shaking the bees off frames , etc. , it seems the more I remain calm , the more my bees remain calm.

For refilling feeders or simple inspections I have just the hat and veil.

I think the full suit is worth the money , sometimes the bees are more agressive than others.

Consider the ventilated suit from Pigeon Mountain. I am very happy with mine (once I replaced the fencing type hood with the round hood). It doesn't have zippers in the legs (which would be really nice), but it's reasonably priced.

resized.jpg

http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com...-bee-wear.aspx
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Tulle veil and a white t-shirt with my work khaki pants are all I normally wear to work my Italians.
    I have a tyvek suit, but have only worn it once to split a friends amm's down into nucs.

Jim, Blackwater Bees, another chick magnet!
    Regards, Barry

Ventilated full suit. When you need it, you'll appreciate it.

Check out the "Ultra Breeze" suits. I got tired of near heat exhaustion in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by nabeehive View Post
    Bees can sting through pigskin gloves. I have not been stung though the cowhide gloves yet.
    I have been stung through good cowhide gloves. One of the little buggers hit the seam exactly and slipped the stinger right between the leather in the seam.

Quote Originally Posted by DPBsbees View Post
    Check out the "Ultra Breeze" suits. I got tired of near heat exhaustion in the summer.
    Ditto. I love mine. I am also moderately allergic so "sting proof" as possible is a must. If I was not allergic I would go with the jacket and not the full suit.

A veil is a must in my opinion.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

This suit with the round hood is incredible. We have hot summers here in S Bama. I wear that suit with just my boxers on underneath and I stay relatively cool in the summer. I like the ability to work my bees without worry of sting or without sweating to death.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 01-22-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast