Hybrid View

Question Bee space question for those who build their own

I have always built my own boxes, bottoms, and tops. Since the last time I built boxes, I've learned that because of SHB, frame rests are no longer being used. The plans that I've always used specify that there is a 1/8" allowance for frame rests built into the design. So now I am wondering if I should lessen the rabbet for the frames by that 1/8"? But if I do that, am I going to upset the bee space of the box design--will I have 1/8" too much space between my boxes?

How do folks handle this? Or is it even anything to worry about? Thanks for any and all input!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Default Re: Bee space question for those who build their own

I don't know. I am using a plan my mentor has used for many years. 3/8" from inside of the box, 5/8" down from the top. No frame rests in his design.

I do the same as jdmidwest.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Rabbet should be 5/8 deep. Top bar of frame is 3/8. You then have 1/4 between top of frames and top of super. This is just room for bees when you slide a super into position to not crush the bees. Make all supers the same.

Deep supers when fully dry should be 9 1/2. With a 9 1/8 deep frame, bee space of 3/8 is maintained between frames in one super to the next.
    Last edited by mgolden; 01-20-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Fully dry is 9 1/2
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

THANK YOU! Looks like I am good to go without having to change a thing!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Old style boxes had a 7/8" rabbet and a folded metal frame rest, so the frame actually sat on a ledge 5/8" from the top of the box. The new style has a 5/8" rabbet and a flat (or no) frame rest. Nothing else changed.

The typical box configuration is to have 1/4" space above the frames and 1/8" space below the frames, so they end up 3/8" apart. You don't want to get too small, certainly, as the bees tend to propolize spaces less than 1/4" and getting the boxes apart without ripping the bottom bars off the frames will be difficult. Too wide, they make burr comb, but that's much less of a problem if you inspect regularly keep the burr comb cleaned up. Fresh white comb isn't very tough.

There was a very complete survey posted a couple months ago about which frames and boxes from all the major sellers fit together. Quite a few violate bee space in combination, it's something to watch for.

Peter