Default Looking for Small Cell Queen/Nuc Supplier, Michigan Area

I am looking for a 4.9 bee and queen supplier somewhere in the northern US, the closer to Michigan the better. I've found several in Kentucky, Georgia, etc but would like to start out with a winter hardy variety. White Oak Apiaries in New York looks good but is an 800 mile trip one way. Thanks for your help.

Bryan

Default Re: Looking for Small Cell Queen/Nuc Supplier, Michigan Area

Hve you checked with Don Lam in Holland?

Wolf Creek Bees in TN is a SC breeder. His bees do very well in Michigan. The Warre Store can vouch for that. They are in Michigan and have had their bees for several years. Ck out their sites if you want more info.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Thanks for the replies. We were hoping to try out Wolf Creek but they aren't doing nucs this year. I had spoken with Don awhile back and again last night at the winter banquet and he is going to keep his eyes and ears open but didn't know of anything at this time. Hopefully we find something as a couple of us would like to try the small cell bees. Thanks.

Bryan

Fat Bee Man is a small cell breeder. He has nucs available. dixiebeesupply dot com. He's in GA.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Regressing bees to 4.9 is just not that difficult. Some get there quicker than others but I got it done pretty handily in a season. My nucs came on 5.4 MM frames and they never saw another as I just surrounded them with the 4.9 and I started the nuc at the side of the box with a foam follower board against the wood to help retain heat. As the bees emerged from that frame, the next 5.4 was rotated to the side. I just continued on all summer and moved the first attempts to the outside and up as temperature allowed. A couple of the intitial eight I regressed still make funky comb. The rest after having drawn supers were with the program. I also shook bees directly onto Mann Lake 4.9 plastic frames and they were drawing the smaller comb much faster. When drawing the SC comb I find I get best results by trimming the frames down to 1 1/4" with my table saw and run 11 in a box. Those plastic frames are NOT the devil, but they are cheap and make the regression pretty easy.