Thread: Pollen patties

Default Pollen patties

I understand it is not a good idea to give bees honey from a unknown source. What about pollen patties, is there the same danger of transmitting diseases from a unknown source?

Default Re: Pollen patties

Are you making your own patties? Much of what you can buy is a pollen substitute. Pollen substitute patties do not have pollen in them. Pollen supplement patties do have pollen in them.
    Last edited by signalten; 01-20-2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: grammar

If the pollen were to come from a compromised source, say a hive that had foulbrood, I would guess that the introduced substance could be a vector for that disease. Of course, you could be making your own and doing the same thing but I would think you'd have a good handle on the health of colonies that you're keeping. I don't have any idea of the extend of the real problem, should there be one, but that would be my concern.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I think I am talking about supplement. I have read a good way to start your hive off in late winter or early spring is feeding a pollen supplement. If this is a good practice ,where would be the safest place to buy pollen. I started bee keeping last July with a small nuc and have no extra pollen of my own.

Are talking about patties you can buy from bee suppliers? if so they are fine. They are pollen substitues. Fresh pollen spoils very quickly.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Thank you. Did you find that the pollen patties in the spring helped jump start the bees?

Pollen patties are only needed if the hive does not have enough stored pollen, there is no natural pollen available, or the weather is too poor for the hive to forage. It is a good idea to have a couple on hand just incase.

In my operation, I place patties directly above the cluster in early March. My goal is spring build up so the hive can have maximum population for colony divisions and honey production.

Thanks for your response. Have you ever used Honey B Healthy?

I use pro health from mann lake. Same thing as HBH. I use it and like it. I feel it does have activity on nosema. Hives seem healthier with it. One of the best attributes is it preserves syrup from spoiling. I had syrup over a year old and it was fine. Draw back is it is pricey.

Thanks Michael been wanting to give it a try. Just need a good endorsement from someone who is not in there sales department.