Default New Beekeeper with Active Bees

I am new to beekeeping. I inherited a hive when one of my tenants moved and left it. The hive has not been touched for over a year and I finally decided that I would scratch that beekeeping itch that I have had for quite some time. I am currently taking a beginner class provided by our local beekeeping association. I am planning to order one or two more hives depending on the condition of the inherited one. An experienced beekeeper is going to take a look at it and let me know its condition and determine if it is still viable.

The hive has had a lot of activity during the recent warm spell. I went out today and sat down beside it and watched the girls go and come for some time. See video below

BTW: I have been looking around here for several months and have learned quite a bit from you all. Thanks.

Dan

Default Re: New Beekeeper with Active Bees

That hive is strong! Make sure it is tilted forward so it does not take on water

Dude, You are good to go!! You may want to consider opening up the hive on a warm day and feeding them so as to not lose any strength.

That hive looks good! You will probably need to plan on splitting it come spring to keep it from swarming.

I hope you all are correct about the health of this hive. I will hopefully find out tomorrow. I will post updates after our inspection.

Johng: if you are correct, I will gladly split it. I will just need to order the hive equipment when I order the other hive and package bees.

Again, thanks for all you input. I need all the help I can get. I really want to do this right.

Dan

Wow! Based on the video that looks to be one good hive!
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

Opened the hive up today. Two medium supers full of honey, probably close to 30 to 35 lbs each. Brood box and one medium super has new brood, capped brood and new honey. Bees were very active, lots of bees. I think I have a good start. Some of the woodenware needs replacing but that is ok, it's already ordered. I have ordered a complete new hive with bees to go along with this one and have also ordered another empty hive just in case I can split the existing hive later.

Oh, I forgot to ask one question. Do you think I should consider re-queening since this hive has not been tended to for we'll over a year?

Dan

I wouldn't re-queen unless the bees are extra defensive. If you have two supers full of honey with newly capped honey then this is a strong hive and doing well. I am of the opinion that you have a very good start and a strong queen. Can you post some photos for us?

I will post some pictures next time I am in the hive. That may be next week since the temps here are forecast to be in the low 50's until then.

Dan

Looks good.

I would plan for swarm prevention by splitting the hive.

Learn about varroa mites and decide what you are going to do. At a minimum learn how to monitor your mites. There are so many new beek that lose their hives and don’t know why.