Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Update To "In The Groves"...Video Of Our Trip

Really enjoyed the video and this thread...thanks

Matt, thanks for posting your trip and the video, I think we all learn from seeing things first hand.

I'm not a pro and this is only what I understand from trying to educate myself.
    Trevor may be able to explain correctly if I'm wrong.

The first early bloom is expected to be lost.
    All grove owners try to get groves sprayed very well right before the major nectar producing bloom.
    The problem is how "before" the bloom is determined. The grove owner next door may spray a week after the grove you are in is sprayed. They then spray as soon as the bloom is done. I think the goal is to have trees go the shortest amount of time between treatments and it is illegal to spray during the bloom.

My impression is that greening disease is a huge threat and they would spray as often they could.
    I think I've seen groves being sprayed year round but I can't tell you with what.

Yes, about a mile from home on the way back we hit an ice patch here in Virginia. It was about 1:30 a.m. Law Enforcement responded and decided it was not an accident, therefore, no ticket. This is my first year in the groves, but not in pollination. It took us a year to locate a grower who would take us and about that time to find a place to stage the colonies and allow them to build up on the pepper flow prior to moving them in. It does appear the Kubota is a total loss and the adjuster is going through the motions to take care of replacement. I appreciate the comments of everyone, and for those whose expectations I did not meet, well, I will just have to try harder next year. :---) Wishing you all the best,

Jerry

PS, DC Honeybees posted the video. I am not good at those highly technical things which is why my son kicks by ****** at video games. Jeff does a great job with the videos and such.

'Summary: Let's not demonize this important resource to our farmers and our own hobby. How commercial beekeepers manage their bees may not gel with everyone's view of long term sustainability, but you would be hard-pressed to find a group of folks more passionate about the health and well-being of the honeybee'

DC - thanks for this summary - it was well said and really hits the nail on the head. It was enjoyable to watch your "transformation in understanding". Until you've done a trip front to back, hours of getting ready, hours to load, 15 hours on the road and then after being up for 24 or so hours, hours unloading - all the time worrying about your bees, it's hard to appreciate what goes on. Everyone should get to do this once! I hope you share this with your other DC beekeepers and perhaps you could forward it to NYC beekeepers as well, thanks for sharing it here!

Im with you beeslave!!! Good thing those beesuits were handy!! I've only had bees that mad when I dropped a pallet.

I must say the DOT folks must a been a naping the day you went south!
    I don't think the straps used to hold the tractor in place on the trailer would have passed there inspection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12