Thread: Pollen Patties?

Hybrid View

Default Pollen Patties?

This is my second year and I have 3 hives coming through the winter. I am thinking of feeding pollan patties this spring, I am not sure when is the time I should be placing these in the hives? Thanks to all

Default Re: Pollen Patties?

I am thinking about the same thing. From what I have read around 6 week from your first good flow as it takes about that long for an egg to turn into a forager. However once you start you had better make sure they don't run out. If they do, they will suffer. So plan on checking on them at least weekly until the first good flow.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

I put a candy board and pollen pattie on top of my hives about Dec 1......just in case they needed it this winter.

I put patties in all of my hives about a week ago. I have hives here that I'm able to look into the entrance (I'm using upper entrances) and see the patty, so when that one seems low I'll check on the others. You want to start it I think about 1-2 batches of brood ealry. (worker bees have a 21 day cycle) Meaning about a month - a month and a half before the start of the flow to give them that boost in numbers. I did it ealry because I think I had 2 hives that died late summer due to low pollen in the hives. Once I realized that I put the patties on top as soon as I could.

If introducing pollen is the plan (by placing it in the colony), I like to put it on the top bars surrounded by a shim and I put it in the colony about the time that temps allow the bees to move around quite a bit. If you're feeding dry sugar it's easy to see when that happens. If you pop the top, you'll see bees working the sugar. That's a good time to introduce that pollen. Also, with sugar, you can place the pollen patty on a corner of the newspaper and they'll work the sugar and the pollen. Don't stop giving them the pollen until they stop taking it.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"