Default Dendrology question

I have heard of the large quantity of water to pass through tree on hot day. Would one expect this to pull significant heat out of Apis nest in hollow ? Mostly from sides, greenwood ?
    Cheers,
    Drew
    p.s Seems fair enough to me, but alas, as with thermodynamics, I am frustrated by ignorance
    Last edited by Maryland Beekeeper; 01-19-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    "Nature does nothing uselessly." Aristotle

Default Re: Dendrology question

No, I wouldn't.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

The water passes through vessels (hardwoods) or trachaeids (softwoods) that occur in the living part of the tree. These are structurally isolated from the living/dead tissues that form the walls of the cavity. Cooling would only take place at the surface of the leaves or needles where the water changes phase from liquid to vapor as it is transpired from the tree. The result - no heat lost to the combs.
    Last edited by pkalisz; 01-19-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by pkalisz View Post
    Cooling would only take place at the surface of the leaves or needles where the water changes phase from liquid to vapor
    Not totally the case. The conversion from water to vapor may be the point of greatest cooling, but travelling from the cooler underground to those leaves it will also absorb heat from the surrounding tissue. To my thinking...not enough to substantially cool the bee nest but it will remove some of the heat.
    All you have to do to test this is to fill a bathtub with cold water and jump in. The water will chill you quickly....even without any significant evaporation.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I wouldn't dismiss it outright. There is a heck of a lot of water on a good size tree moving up on a hot day. That water is being drawn at soil temp, which is a fair bit cooler than air in summer midday.

But I think the wood itself wood insulate against any significant heat exchange at that small temperature differential. Maybe in a full sun situation it would reduce solar gain from the exterior, but I just don't see it pulling heat from the interior.

My understanding to is that there is a heck of a lot? of water movin and its got to be @ least cool? coming up, this would make for a nest in a cool water jacket ? Like they plug the athletes into Be very curious to know, if the hive is 95, I would think the water going by although insulated, could be a big help. Perhaps the water pushes right up against the back side of that prop. all around ? I've got a dissected poplar trunk/nest, looking @ cross section it seems possible, but I'm no dendrologist
    Last edited by Maryland Beekeeper; 01-19-2013 at 02:05 PM.

I know that according to the calendar it is the depth of Winter, but, really, this is what you are concerned about?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Can't seem to get out of R&D for 2013 hive. Which I had hoped to have built by now

It will cool the nest to a very small degree. Ventilation will cool it to a much larger degree. The bees can generate so much heat in the winter to keep warm that this little heat loss in the summer is insignificant or mildly appreciated.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I know that according to the calendar it is the depth of Winter, but, really, this is what you are concerned about?
    I dunno Mark. There's an ongoing thread on proper spelling and grammar and another on Russell's apiaries. This seems like time well spent in comparison.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by maryland beekeeper View Post
    can't seem to get out of r&d for 2013 hive. Which i had hoped to have built by now
    i c
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I dunno Mark. There's an ongoing thread on proper spelling and grammar and another on Russell's apiaries. This seems like time well spent in comparison.
    lol
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I wonder if perhaps under appreciated ?

speaking of spelling,,,maybe,,,,who is Aritotle ?