Default Looking for bulk sugar

I'm looking for a large tote or any form of bulk sugar. Prefer to pickup in south Carolina or New York but anywhere along the east coast would work.

Thanks

Default Re: Looking for bulk sugar

Call Hackenberg.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Ted Elk in Hammond, NY. He has a post in the for sale forum.

40,000lb of Sugar for sale, 2000lb supper sacks $.38 per lb

A friend just purchased a large tote, he told me it was a combination of confectionary sugar and regular granulated sugar. I've never heard of this, is it common?

Thanks

You are wright it is a mixture of both confectionary sugar and regular, confectionary sugar is regular sugar ground to a powder. We have been feeding it mixes well with no problem and mixes ok

Don't know if you guys have a Costco back east but they have 50lb bags @.44 cents any amount.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Ted- I thought confectionary sugar also had corn starch in it?Is that safe to feed bees?

Keith - I go to Sams but there price is not as good as you mention, perhaps I'll have to check on Costco

Sweetners Plus in Lakeville, NY have dry sugar in bags and liquid sucrose. I'll ask Jon about the price.

Jon says that Sweetners Plus sells pallet loads. He doesn't know if there is a minimum. He didn't reply to price question.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 01-20-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Thanks, Mark. Still curious about feeding bees confectionary sugar?

I can't speak to that specifically, but, Jon got some sugar from DH and found there to be something which didn't desolve well which clogged up the holes in his feeder buckets. Some of that sugar was like confectionarylike.

I guess TED hasn't had any trouble that way.

I've bought sugar from Ted. Some bags had powdered sugar mixed in. I don't believe it's "confectioners" sugar, just powdered. Other than some clumping, I had no problems.

Okay. Thanks for the feed back, I didn't think they made powdered sugar without using corn starch but I'm glad they don't in all cases. I assumed it had to be somewhat okay since it's used to make queen candy and the like. My friend that bought it is making a fondant type feed with it, mixing in brood builder and a little honey bee healthy. He plans to report back to let me know how the bees like. I have a feeling they will like it just fine!! I also read that beekeepers used to(some still do use it) use it when they made there grease patties.

Thanks