Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Using mono to wire foundationless frames

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  rhaldridge 
#1 ·
Can anyone who uses mono to wire foundationless frames with tell me what they use.

What size nail do you use?

What size mono do you use? Do you know if the bees accept a smaller test mono like 6 or 8 as oppesed to 50lb test?

#2 ·
The bees won't care what size you use.

I use 20# b/c that's what I had on hand.
I'm more concerned with having a line size fat enough to hold the comb and not just cut through it when it is soft and heavy w/ nectar than with rated strength.

I use small 1/2" frame nails.

I pull the line nice and tight.

I don't bother with them much in the brood nest anymore, as I'm faf less likely to damage comb soft comb there, and it's unlikely to be extracted.

If I don't have any straight drawn comb I put foundationless frames between frames of foundation to keep the bees oriented.
the simplest starter strip I've found (other than Kelley's foundationless frame, which looks like a time saver) is to turn the wedge in wedge frame 90 degrees leaving about a 1/8" starter, which is plenty.

Have fun

#3 ·
I do just about the same thing as Beregondo. I use old 15 - 20# test fishing line off of my surf reels before replacing the line. The bees will build comb thru any size you use. I'm not sure if I would go down to 6-8# test, that seems a little light. Line that light might be too flexible for this application .. but I'm not certain, I've never tried it.

I use fishing line on all of my new foundationless frames. Sometimes they build too much drone comb for my liking on certain frames, and I like to cull those out of the brood nest boxes and use them in supers. This way the line is already embedded in the comb and is more stable for extracting if they end up in the honey supers.

I also use 1/2" X 19 wire nails on the edge of the end bars to wrap the line around and that works just fine.

#8 ·
Doesn't using wire defeat the purpose of the original question? Don't get me wrong, if you want to use wire, doo so. I t will work fine. I use fishing line for 3 main reasons; 1. it's cheap. 2. it's much easier to cut through when cycling out old comb, 3. I use the OTS system to raise queens. They seem to always build cells over the line. With wire that cell would most likely be lost. Those are my reasons for using line. Just my thoughts. Do what works best for you.

#9 ·
View attachment 4041 .

I use all medium frames and run the mono line through the same pre-drilled holes used for wire, two strands horizontally. I attach the nails in the recessed part of the end bar. This allows me to scrape propolis from the upper part of the end bar and not snap or cut the line. I like to keep the wide part of the end bars cleaned up so the frames can be pushed as close together as possible in the box.

#10 ·
I purchased 30 frames to assemble as foundationless this winter. I used what I had on a reel (probably 8#) and started at the top and worked my way through the holes (no eyelets) all the way down to the bottom. Wrapped line around frame 3 times close together and then hit it with a 1/2" crown staple on the edge. Pulled line tight all the way back up to the top, wrapped three times and stapled that too. Cut off excess and off to the next one. I like the idea of heavier test line...mine did do a bit of stretching, no doubt! A month later and they are still taught in a cold garage. I suppose once the heat from being inside the hive gets to them, they'll lose some spring, but hopefully the bees will fill them out quickly.

#13 ·
I started with 50# test mono, ran out and used the large spool of 20# test.......I like the lighter line better, seems easier to work with.

I usually put a 1/2" frame nail in where only about 1/8" of the nail is sticking out, wrap the line around it a few times and hammer it home. Oh ya, before doing that run the line through the frame where you want it to be! I then pull it taught and wrap it around the remaining nail and drive it home. Doesn't take long at all to do a box of frames.

#14 ·
Maybe I'll end up regretting this, but I haven't used nails to string my mono. I'm only putting line in my foundationless deep frames, and only using the two center holes. I run the line through all 4 holes, then pull it tight and tie an overhand double knot on the outside of the endbar. Mono slips enough that I can pull up on both ends to get tension, and yank the knot tight. I then put a dab of Titebond III on the knot to stabilize it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.