Hybrid View

Default Using mono to wire foundationless frames

Can anyone who uses mono to wire foundationless frames with tell me what they use.

What size nail do you use?

What size mono do you use? Do you know if the bees accept a smaller test mono like 6 or 8 as oppesed to 50lb test?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Default Re: Using mono to wire foundationless frames

The bees won't care what size you use.

I use 20# b/c that's what I had on hand.
    I'm more concerned with having a line size fat enough to hold the comb and not just cut through it when it is soft and heavy w/ nectar than with rated strength.

I use small 1/2" frame nails.

I pull the line nice and tight.

I don't bother with them much in the brood nest anymore, as I'm faf less likely to damage comb soft comb there, and it's unlikely to be extracted.

If I don't have any straight drawn comb I put foundationless frames between frames of foundation to keep the bees oriented.
    the simplest starter strip I've found (other than Kelley's foundationless frame, which looks like a time saver) is to turn the wedge in wedge frame 90 degrees leaving about a 1/8" starter, which is plenty.

Have fun

I do just about the same thing as Beregondo. I use old 15 - 20# test fishing line off of my surf reels before replacing the line. The bees will build comb thru any size you use. I'm not sure if I would go down to 6-8# test, that seems a little light. Line that light might be too flexible for this application .. but I'm not certain, I've never tried it.

I use fishing line on all of my new foundationless frames. Sometimes they build too much drone comb for my liking on certain frames, and I like to cull those out of the brood nest boxes and use them in supers. This way the line is already embedded in the comb and is more stable for extracting if they end up in the honey supers.

I also use 1/2" X 19 wire nails on the edge of the end bars to wrap the line around and that works just fine.
    To everything there is a season....

Here's a pic of some home made frames with 20# fishing line. I have to agree with Mike about not using the lower test line.To hold the line I use carpet tacks.
    http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC01944.jpg

I use 21ga stainless steel wire wire.jpg

I think that this fatbeeman video might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwYrT8XhKf4

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Honey View Post
    I use 21ga stainless steel wire wire.jpg
    Where can I find stainless steel wire? I have tried my local hardware store and Lowes with no luck,thanks.