Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 2 Dead outs with video looking opions

Before reusing frames,Put a strong light over your shoulder and check the bottom of the cells for AFB scale.

Fo Varroa flip frame over and look at the top of the cell.A severe infestation will show a white fecal spot.

After thought: In CT,I think I would keep a July nuc in a single to overwinter and make sure it was packed with food in Oct.No foundation.No cold sugar cube.

Sean, just one more thing....Look for mite tolerant bees next time, it will give you a leg up on those mites. I agree with Randy Oliver when he recommends a few years under your belt before going treatment free.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

My 1st year and I just saw mine the other day. More dependent on type of bees and how much stores.

As an FYI - I lost a hive of "Mite tolerant bees" late this fall. Mite tolerant does not equate to treatment free, in all cases from what I experienced. If you need to treat anyway, I dont think the hygenics are a help at all.

I think that there is often a big gap between bees marketed as mite tolerant and bees that actually are tolerant or resistant.

Just because bees are marketed as VSH or Russian (esp if as a cross or hybrid of these recessive genes) doesn't mean they are any good against mites.

I put much more weight on experience with a particular line or testimony of those who have it than labels and marketing hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan. NY View Post
    As an FYI - I lost a hive of "Mite tolerant bees" late this fall. Mite tolerant does not equate to treatment free, in all cases from what I experienced. If you need to treat anyway, I dont think the hygenics are a help at all.
    Excellent point Dan, it would have been better for me to have recommended treatment free queen bees in post #22 above, thanks for helping me say it better.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)