Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Adding packages to nucs

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  EastSideBuzz 
#1 ·
Has anyone combined queenless packages to nucs to get the best of both worlds?

#2 ·
I would imagine that the urgency a swarm shows to establish neccessary comb and stores of food and pollen is derived from the process of bees; deciding to swarm, the process of prepping the queen for the flight, the gorging before leaving, result in the benefit. Being heavily smoked, though it results in the gorging; then being dumped in a box thru a tin funnel probably do not produce an equal stimulus. Why would it? Adding bulk bees to a nuc would indeed boost that colony. During the time of year one might be tempted to try this measure, adding population is all important so it would benefit the colony.

#3 ·
I had a hive last year that swarmed on me, then the queen didn't take so my hive was queenless. I got a nuc from a local bee keeper. I placed a layer of newspaper on top of the old hive and then put the nuc on top of the newspaper. Then the inner cover and the top. Took about a day for them to eat through he paper and combined the 2 together. The hive did well after that and has wintered well, so far at least. It is going to be really cold next week highs in the mid 20s lows around 0.

#4 ·
I install packages into Nuc's all the time. Confines them and they build it out like crazy. In about 2 weeks you will have to install into a full box. Keep your eye out they might do it quicker. I typically do it when I run out of deeps with top and bottom. I can make a nuc way quicker. It is a stop gap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.