Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Has anyone ever had a confontation with another beekeeper, especially sideline/comm ?

Just curious what kind of "turf wars" happen between commercial or sideliner beekeepers! Also, how about under cutting prices to get pollination contracts?
    Just looking for some good stories whether you experienced it or have heard a good story on what happened to another beekeeper!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Has anyone ever had a confontation with another beekeeper, especially sideline/co

The only thing that I have was a local beek called me a liar. He was asking for information on wiring frames and using a car battery to melt the wire into the foundation. I told him that I did not know how to do it because I have always used fishing line...even 20 years ago.
    To make a short story shorter...he said that I was lying to him and I did not want to help him. He said he has never heard of fishing line in a hive.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Default Re: Has anyone ever had a confontation with another beekeeper, especially sideline/co

I had one encounter with a commercial beekeeper. He was rude, crotchety, disrespectful, and mean from the second I said "Hello" to 30 seconds later when I said "Goodbye".

Quote Originally Posted by Goldprospector View Post
    The only thing that I have was a local beek called me a liar. He was asking for information on wiring frames and using a car battery to melt the wire into the foundation. I told him that I did not know how to do it because I have always used fishing line...even 20 years ago.
    To make a short story shorter...he said that I was lying to him and I did not want to help him. He said he has never heard of fishing line in a hive.
    Goldprospector, I thought using fishing line was something new, I guess I was wrong.Do you use it for foundationless or with foundation if foundationless how do you run the line.I started to use it last year and found that the comb will sag when turned on it's side.

When I was starting out I didn't know anyone into bees and I called a commercial beek near me I asked him if I could buy 4 queens or if he new were I could get some . He then bragged how he just bought 300 queens the day before and I told him if could sell me some and he said no and then I asked him were I could buy them and he just told me that no and to not bother him any more
    /Day and night with all your might /

In the past in California range wars, whole yards have been burned, hives picked up and unloaded in the freeway divider area, lids flipped off before a rainstorm, hives used for target practice, hives knocked over,hives sprayed with Raid, nails dumped in the road to the yard. I dont know if anyone was ever shot, but it would not surprise me.

When I started beekeeping in 1972, I approached a commercial beek for a ride along. This turned into a part time job. He used me like a rented mule, got me stung til I looked like a woodtick and payed me very little. But I did meet people and learned what to buy and where to source both equipment and bees. I found that community of commercial guys to be just like everyone else. A couple cheated me, some mentored me and one moved into the area I was trying to fill with my own commercial operation around Lansford ND. Just sometimes curious if it is one affable commercial guy who is a regular here. BUT, I digress! People mostly treat you as you treat them.

Interesting. We had a couple people butt heads (almost literally) in a recent bee meeting. Beekeeping attracts all folks and that means it attracts all types of folks. Just like anything else. Even customers - as I take bees out of houses. Most were great, but I got this one guy.... he didn't want to do it right from the start, and I've been back at his house half a dozen times. He's recently widowed so I think he just has too much time on his hands, so I'm cutting him a break.

On the other hand, I have a customer that won't return my calls, emails, or send my check. There was this awful situation where his contractor gave me the wrong age of the house, and the history on the hive, so I approached it from the angle based on his info. Gave him a written invoice, so when we had to change it when it was in the wall, I told him I'd keep the same price, but he had to drywall the opening. He was sticking to what I wrote, not our conversation and wanted a discount on the bill because his guy had to do drywall. My mistake for not getting the change order and approval in writing, but I thought he would appreciate the fact that I came out on the weekend to help him out. Now, it doesn't look like I'm even getting paid on the discounted job. However, his company manages over 400 old houses in the Richmond area. I can't wait until that call this summer when he needs bees removed and I happen to be the only guy that does it professionally. I'll be sweet as pie, but I'm going to make it painful. Double the normal price, and half in a check the day I show up. I was thinking about bringing his bees back to his office (actually an empty box with a little MP3 player inside playing buzzing sounds). "you didn't pay me for the bee removal, so I'm bringing your bees back. If you'll just hand me a cardboard box, I'll pour them in. I just need to take this nuc box back home with me...."

rob
    www.mongrelbees.com

I had heard about the only commercial beekeeper in my area and I drove into his yard and introduced myself. It was in a public area, no signs, no locked gates. He was amicable but as I left he stated he didn't like that I just dropped in on him without calling. I stated that I did not know who he was so that is why I just dropped in. I called him a few weeks later and he just flew off the handle, ranting and raving non-stop over the phone about how improper I had been to just drop in on him. I later heard he is a big dope smoker, and I know from others they often have paranoia and a persecution complex. Have only heard bad rumblings about him ever since.

BeeGhost, why do you state disputes between commercial and sideliner,

you dont have to be one or the other to get into a dispute,
    Id say most neighbouring beekeeper tend to show their finest charm towards eachother every once and a while. Beekeepers are very territorial
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I had heard about the only commercial beekeeper in my area and I drove into his yard and introduced myself. It was in a public area, no signs, no locked gates. He was amicable but as I left he stated he didn't like that I just dropped in on him without calling. I stated that I did not know who he was so that is why I just dropped in. I called him a few weeks later and he just flew off the handle, ranting and raving non-stop over the phone about how improper I had been to just drop in on him. I later heard he is a big dope smoker, and I know from others they often have paranoia and a persecution complex. Have only heard bad rumblings about him ever since.

Maybe he was growing some of that green corn in the area.

I've heard stories from members here.... seems pretty brutal out there. Unless you're the land owner, I don't see how you have anything to say to anyone else putting bees there if everyone has permission. But, if I own the land and have my bees there and plant for them, I wouldn't like some other guy dropping a huge amount of hives on the property line trying to cash in on my hardwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    BeeGhost, why do you state disputes between commercial and sideliner,
    Beekeepers are very territorial
    And that is why I mentioned sideliners and commercial guys, people with a lot of hives and a lot of vested intrest in getting the best land.

Back yard bee keepers or people that own their own land might only have to deal with bad neighbors, on the other hand, the "big guns" have to deal with each other doing things like what loggermike stated........land wars between the big guys.

Was more curious about the kind of tactics that are performed during these "wars" than anything, and Loggermike stated a lot, which is what I wanted to hear about!

I wasnt trying to point out a fight between commerical guys and sideliners, but more about disputes between commercial guys, or between sideliner guys..............or maybe in some cases between sideliners and commercial guys!
    Coyote Creek Bees

In my country the turf wars are mostly in the costal regions for some reason.

All this has the makings of a decent soap opera. It would be a darn sight more interesting than Downton Abbey.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    All this has the makings of a decent soap opera. It would be a darn sight more interesting than Downton Abbey.
    Im telling you Adrian, if "Honey Boo Boo" can get a second season, why wouldn't a true life show called "Hive Wars" make it! Kind of a mix between "Amish Mafia" and "Wicked Tuna"!! Even if events are staged (like most reality shows now) it could get the interest of all kinds of viewers, put the word out about beekeeping and make package producers and nuc suppliers and bee supply companies RICH!! I am seriously going to send a letter to TLC or Discovery Channel and have them check into it. Heck, if commercial/sideliner guys don't mind a few cameras in their faces they could make a little extra dough for being themselves!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I knew it. You started this thread because you wanted ideas for a script. I'm with you. Now for a title. How about "Honey boo boozers" or "The Sting(er)" or "The life and times of Pollen Patty" or "Bottom bored?" or "Not your usual Swingers" or "The real queens of California". Possibilities are endless.

Ive heard of people moving there hives leaving liquid seven in honey water mix and people stealing lots of suppers. Doing the frame swap. And when i was first wanting to get started in bees commerical beek from a place in tennese know for chicken fights said hed set me up with as many swarms as i wanted he hust letem fly. Called and talked to him for a hour. Then wont never awnser As gain.

But another guy gave me two hives for free. To mee sideliners are usually more laid back. Commericals are ok and wanna bee's but broke commerical usually dontcare who they screw or shaft to get where they think they are going. I worked for a guy and helped him and did the hole slave and rob all day it was sour wood traded a nuk to him one suday no call no nothing came and got what we talked about and brought acolony of foagers. Ha.f'd mee but he already told me was wanting welp with hives u can guess what im ganna tell him

So BeeGhost, does this thread have anything to do with this thread http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...appy-beekeeper!! ? I thought you might be stepping on some toes out there. You'll find lots of toes to step on in the delta.