Thread: Bee candy

Harold Guest

Default Bee candy

I have been feeding my bees dry sugar in a top shallow top feeder.
    What I would like to find out is, What is the advantage of bee candy
    over dry sugar. they seem to take the dry sugar and not just remove it.
    I have seen sugar granules packed in the comb. i can go through 5# of
    sugar in a few weeks in the spring.

Thanks
    Harold.

Default Re: Bee candy

Both forms need water to dilute it I believe, I'm not sure if candy is easier to digest/use or not, but could be. Someone else can speak to that. My thoughts on candy advantages is that it can actually be poured into a frame and allowed to set up. You then have a frame of candy that can sit right in a cluster. Candy can also be put into a candy board so that's on the underside of a shim and directly above the top bars so even when clustered the bees could be on it. Dry sugar needs the bees to be able to break at least a little bit to climb on the pile to consume it.

I use dry sugar placed on a wet newspaper laying on the top bars often. Anytime I think that there is a chance the bees might run out of food. If the cluster is on the top of the frames, I put on the sugar. Candy has as an advantage the moisture it contains makes it easier for the bees to ingest it. I doubt seriously your bees in the dismal swamp of a winter you have, EVER run short of water! The dry sugar as you know absorbs moisture and helps with your water problems and indeed becomes one giant sugar cube block of candy. The syrup/candy poured into cells is a good idea too, but their is nothing wrong with the dry sugar. I had too many colonies die on the cover because their instinct tells them to keep moving up to get more stores! When it warms up, you take that sugar cube off your top bars and add water and turn it into syrup! Nothing wasted material or time.

Harold Guest

Thanks All
    And yes Vance, We do have plenty of moisture out here in WA.
    and sugar is so easy to feed.
    Harold

Candy is placed directly on the top bars.
    In places with an actual winter sometimes it is too cold for the bees to move up the access chute of a top feeder and back to the cluster because it gets too cold - below freezing weeks at time.

Even without Wetsern Washington weather, there's generally enough moisture just form the condensation that forms on the walls/lid of a hive for the bees to make use of dry sugar or candy, either one. They use the water to dissolve it and it is ingested in syrup form.

If I were still living in the Puget sound area, I'd stick with the feeder as it is tidier in the spring to dump/scrape the excess sugar, if any, into a container by holding the feeder over it than scraping bee candy of of frames, as it sometimes hardens onto them.

Glad to hear from God's Country.
    Didn't know how spoiled I was til I moved.
    There's nothing like a Batdorf & Bronson here.

And certainly no Sound.