Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone have any idea what this white stuff would be in a nectar cell?

Checked on my only remaining hive I had in town and discovered it was dead. Upon a quick inspection through all the European ants I found a really small dead cluster, a few cells with capped brood, other cells with emerging bees with their tongues out and white specks in cells.........I am sure this hive died from Varroa as well, just like the other hive did next to it back in November. Anyhow, upon inspection I seen that there was a white milky substance in with the fresh nectar that was brought in. There was even milky white substance in with some pollen cells as well. I will be bringing this hive home tomorrow after work to further investigate things and get more pictures.

Here are some of the drone cells filled with the white substance:

Any Ideas??

Thanks!!
    Jason
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Anyone have any idea what this white stuff would be in a nectar cell?

Though it's just a guess, could it be larvae in various stages of decomposition? A couple cells there still look like larvae...

Default Re: Anyone have any idea what this white stuff would be in a nectar cell?

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    Though it's just a guess, could it be larvae in various stages of decomposition? A couple cells there still look like larvae...
    Not larvae decomposing. The white stuff was found in the pollen cells and cells that had unripened nectar in them. This frame didn't have any capped brood on it at all, and it was 4 frames from the "cluster" and any capped cells.

Just plain weird, at first I thought maybe a poison of some sort. I have no idea!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Almost looks like some kind of microbe, yeasty looking but would need to be cultured out on differential media to narrow down further. Sorry for your loos though.

were you feeding sugar syrup? looks like granulated sugar

It could be yeast, never thought of that!

It's not sugar syrup as I was fortunate that the city hives had plenty of forage all year, Infact the top 10 frame deep is packed with honey. Never had to feed this hive and this was a large swarm I caught in late February of last year. They drew out two 10 frame deeps and most of a 10 frame medium and had surplus honey.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Maybe fermenting nectar

I see this in the winter in cells with open nectar my guess it's sugar crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    Maybe fermenting nectar
    That does look like foam on top of nectar to me too.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I have the same thing. Not sure what it was. Do you think it will be ok to give the frames to a new package in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by trykonxlgold85 View Post
    I have the same thing. Not sure what it was. Do you think it will be ok to give the frames to a new package in the spring.
    Yes, the bees will clean it up in the spring.Nice to see somebody close by,good luck.

It looks like crystalized honey to me. The bees ate the liquid honey out of the cells and left the crystales behind. Check the bottom board to see if any crystales are there.

I agree, it is crystalized honey. Some varieties will crystalize sooner than others.

I agree with crystalized honey...or ..the bees have poured themselves a cold one and your seeing the head on the beers.

Ive never seen crystalized honey, so im not sure. Do crystals usually float around in the nectar?? I dont know, they are also in the pollen cells. I'll take better pictures tonight when I get the hive home!

Eddie, that would be the unltimate hive, pour a couple cells of beer for ya on a hot day!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

it might be that the bees are using water to try to dissolve the crystals.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

There must be some fracking going on near you!!! =)

It is granulated honey that we get in fall here in the Bay Area. I have many combs right now that won't extract. I left a few supers on strong hives and it got filled with that stuff. Put it back on the hives and it seems to disappear.

I see it to from time to time. I believe it is granulated feed. It is definitely not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    It is granulated honey that we get in fall here in the Bay Area. I have many combs right now that won't extract. I left a few supers on strong hives and it got filled with that stuff. Put it back on the hives and it seems to disappear.
    Thanks Ollie, never seen it before, so its good to know its not harmful. Do you by chance know what the source might be?
    Coyote Creek Bees

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast