Default What to do with used plastic frame?

I have just inherited hundred of used plastic frames. They have been stored in a barn for the last 3 years.
    Most of the drawn comb on the frames has been removed, either by the last owner or from wax moth activity.
    No wax moth evidence is currently present on the frames. How can these frames be rehabbed for use? Do they have to
    have wax on them before the bees will use them? If so, what is the easiest way to apply it? Any suggestions appreciated!

Default Re: What to do with used plastic frame?

Congratulations on your newly acquired bonanza! Here's a link that should give you some ideas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pyB64oaHWk I use a small crockpot to melt some cappings wax and brush it onto the plastic "foundation". It works quite well. OMTCW

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Hill View Post
    Congratulations on your newly acquired bonanza! Here's a link that should give you some ideas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pyB64oaHWk I use a small crockpot to melt some cappings wax and brush it onto the plastic "foundation". It works quite well. OMTCW
    Not to hijack this post, but I have a smaller scale, similar issue/question. I left drawn frames in a cardboard nuc box last year and forgot about it - at least long enough for wax moths to make short work of it. I have frozen it in a freezer and sprayed with Btk. There is still plenty of brown comb more or less intact among the grub trails. Anyone have an opinion if it is wise to just re-use these as-is this year? It seems that the wax moths munch up the wax matrix and perhaps leave some kind of protein remaining that doesn't melt when you melt down such comb. Any reason that these frames can't be put in hives this spring without stripping and waxing?

Wax moths seemed particularly brutal last year vs. my prior 3 years. Don't know why, but even had them in healthy hives and everywhere they had a chance.

Thanks.

I would use them, you probably will like the results. However, if they are too far gone with drone comb, melt them down. They will clean that up in no time. OMTCW

I chuck or give away my old deep plastics. The western plastic I use for honey and I am switching to all wood as soon as I can.

And what is OMTCW stand for?

Goatman clean them up and reapply bees wax. I use a foam roller. Since you have allot I would dip them like the video, us a thicker coat of wax bees will draw it quicker.

Beebutler use needle nose pliers and pull out as much webbing from the moths as you can. The bees will repair all the comb but can’t do much with the webbing.

Thanks to all for the replies. I can always depend on this forum for answers.

Go ahead and use them. I switched to plastic frames years ago and have never gone to the trouble of adding wax to them. IME they're drawn as readily and accurately as wax foundation, especially if added for flows or when feeding (which is just good practice anytime you want comb drawn well).
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Thanks Ben. They have some old dried out comb on them. Should I remove it or just put them in a super as is??
    I was thinking of taking them to the car wash and blasting it all off..

if you are going to blast them I would first scrape the old wax off and run it through my solor mealter. then blast. Wax is wax to a point.
    David
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

I switched to plastic foundation about 5 or 6 yrs ago and it worked well for me.
    Recently I have been renewing comb and switching to all mediums and compared to wax it is way to much(unpleasant) work.
    The only methods that seem to work are wax moth and scrubbing with lye.
    The last few supers of frames have gone into the trash.I don't think they can go in recycle bin.
    I'm back to wax and others have told me the same.
    I've got about 150 sheets of smelly,wax moth infested,black Pierco deep foundation.
    Any takers?

Just scrape off as much of the webs and junk from the wax moths and brush on some melted wax with one of those foam paint brushes. You won't be able to get all of the black stuff out of the frames but, once you rewax them the bees will draw them out just fine. At $2 a piece they are worth the effort to clean up.

If you're concerned about old black comb I'd scrape and compost it. That's one of the great things about plastic, easy reboot! You don't have to get all OCD, just a few strokes with the hive tool or a paint scraper (preferred, not sharp so it won't scratch and the blade's broader: 2-3 strokes per medium frame) to get down to the embossing. It comes right off especially if it's not warm. It's considered somewhat poor form to soften the wax and put it down the drain of a car wash's facility... difficult to clean out as one poster noted. Besides for 100 frames it'll take less time and effort to just scrape right at home than the drive and hassle! I'd be a little reluctant to do the solar melter myself, as the UV weakens plastic pretty quickly: especially since scraping is so easy, my PF120s are one thing that doesn't go into the solar melter. When I'm culling comb or the occasional one is mis-drawn, I just scrape it right at the beeyard and return to the colony bare. It's already scented up from the colony's wax and foot traffic and gets readily accepted and re-drawn.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO