Default New Member from middle TN

Hello All,

I'm a 20+ year bee keeper now joining this forum. About 16 years ago I became a self employed construction Businessman. As my desire to become successful came to full bloom my honeybees began to suffer from lack of attention. I put in just enough time to keep 3-5 colonies alive removing surplus honey as needed.
    When I began beekeeping I was diligent at reading and learning all I could to become a proficient beekeeper. I feel that I had become a knowledgable beekeeper through 1998, after that I lost interest per say.
    Now I'm ready to pick up where I left off. I've given token attention from time to time to beekeeping in general. I have minimal knowledge of SHB but very little info on different treatment avenues for SHB, nor any up to date treatment practices for all other honey bee parasites and afflictions.
    When I started 20+ years ago books and magazines were my principal avenues to gather info, now I enjoy the Internet immensely.

What I did learn when I began keeping honeybees was this: ask 20 bee keepers a specific question on bee management and almost always you'll get 20 different answers that each one believes whole heartedly. From those answers I learned to glean out the info that best suited my operation which ALWAYS worked very well for me. I look forward to each of you providing your personal insight into today's beekeeping, whether it be a response to a thread or a PM.

Looking forward to being here,
    Cantrell Carden

Default Re: New Member from middle TN

Welcome to the site and back to bee keeping! I'll be getting my first packages in March. Rain has stopped my work on the apiary. My biggest challenge is going to be black bears. I plan to use a high tension electric fence.

Welcome Cantrell! Only 20 different answers from 20 beekeepers? Usually several have multiple opinions, maybe even personalities.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome Cantrell,
    I am just up the road in McMinnville. We have an active beekeepers association that meets once a month on Thursday nights. Be glad to have you join us. Also, I will include my email address if you ever want to talk bees or just want to drive over. I study this site a lot just as you do. Welcome aboard.
    Joe

laurelcove@blomand.net

Welcome, Neighbor.

Best of luck with your bees.

Please mention what SHB stands for. Maybe more interest would develope if you only had two hives. Either way good luck and I do hope you make it enjoyable for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by samoadc View Post
    Please mention what SHB stands for. Maybe more interest would develope if you only had two hives. Either way good luck and I do hope you make it enjoyable for yourself.
    SHB= small hive beetle.
    Are 2 colonies the MAGIC number? Lol

Welcome to the forum from Northern Middle Tennessee.
    Tim: Don't Worry, Bee Happy
    USDA Zone 6b, elev. 1100' ASL

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes. Once this continual rain moves out I plan to peek in on my bees so a to check their status.

Welcome and enjoy your stay!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/