Hybrid View

Default Ready for spring splits!

Me and a freind of mine are starting our plans for our splits in a few weeks and we have decided on the following course of action.

We will make Nucs. From the parent hive, we will take two frames of bees and brood, two frames of stores, and one frame of Hive Beetles to put in each Nuc. We hope to even things up. LOL

Man the SHB's have been tough this year!!!
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Default Re: Ready for spring splits!

I went into my hives yesturday and they all still had a small amount of shb in them. They were all coralled up but I sprung them loose.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    I went into my hives yesturday and they all still had a small amount of shb in them. They were all coralled up but I sprung them loose.
    Probably a good thing you did that...The Beetles needed their exercise!
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

I'd laugh harder if it wasn't so sad. Virginia had a lot more SHB than in years past. I went to a bee meeting on Monday, and being one of the more experience beekeepers, a lot of the 2 and 3 year folks came up and asked me how my bees were doing as soon as I walked in. (I make a lot of nucs and do a lot of cutouts too, so they ask my opinion a lot). Anyway, they all had lost several hives due to a fall dearth we had and asked me if I lost any. "Lost any? I was doing splits last week, what do you mean lost any!?!" You should have seen the looks on their faces. They all got it at about the same time. It was great. I also told the guy that hates my top bar hives "you know, I lost about 30% of my Langstroth hives, but I've had 100% success with my Top Bar hives." "Really!!?" "yep. Of course I only have 2 of those".

rob
    www.mongrelbees.com