Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

RUSSELL APIARIES- FACTS, and first hand knowledge... He taught me how to raise bees

84K views 98 replies 47 participants last post by  Vance G 
#1 ·
Not sure how this post should go... but I felt COMPELLED to say something due to all I have rad recently about Russell apiaries. My name is Clark Burrell and I live in Raymond Mississippi... just about 7 miles from Bolton Mississippi and the home of Russell apiaries. I have raised and sold queens and a few packages with my wife at the time.. under the name SippyBees here on beesource, and also through Russell apiaries. I have never had a SINGLE unfilled paid order... never had a complaint about my bees that were sold... and have never seen Russell Apiaries NOT send an order as promised.
FIRST... Russell Apiaries WAS indeed started and operated for 50 years by J N Russell. He was a good guy.... he passed away about 2 years ago. I had known him for about 15 years when he passed. HE is who started myself and my wife in beekeeping. My wife worked for him through 3 seasons.... I helped when I was not working my day job when I could. JN never screwed anyone... he would not cash your check until he KNEW your bees were getting shipped. I could go on and on about JN Russell... but thats not what this post is about....
After JN passed.... it seems all was not on good terms within the family with his sons. He had 4 sons... Don(deceased), Johnny (owns his own welding shop) Ricky( wanted to raise bees), and a 1/2 brother(different Mom) Robert (also wanted his Dad's bees).
After JN passed... seems the electric was turned off, mail was forwarded to Robert's house, and much of the bee equipment and >100 hives all went walking... this was not written in the JN's will... as Johnny is the executor and is a personal friend of mine. I personally got out of bees for about 5 years and now when I start trying to get bees again, I learn all of this happened since I got out of bees. Robert does have a very nice website... Johnny said his son phillip is one of the people who tried to help Robert setup the web site... hmmmm. I know that Ricky the oldest son wants to get his fathers business going again.... and I personally GUARANTEE that Ricky will not steal anyone's money. He is like myself... starting over small with not so much.... but he WANTS to preserve his father's name and good reputation... He lives in Bolton at his fathers same house where Russell Apiaries have been for 50 years.
NOW... Robert Russell.... hmmmm There are SOME things I have knowledge of that I will not say in a public forum.... but ANYONE who is interested can call me anytime... if I am busy/ leave a message will call you back. BUT.. is some things I CAN say here...
#1.. brothers say Robert never went to college... I dont care either way... but.. "Dr" Russell ???
#2.. Bees have been bought from Robert with foulbrood..... state apiarist involved already
#3.. NUMEROUS orders of bees that were paid for but never shipped... doesn't answer phone or email... being looked at already by those that care
#4.. He lives in SE Jackson Mississippi... queen operations there at his house I suppose... how do you raise 13 genetically different strains of bees in the same location?????
#5.. in every web page I have looked at... I cannot see ANYWHERE his physical location or address... what's this mean???
#6.. sub breeders selling queens under HIS name?? whats in it for these sub breeders? Why they aren't just selling their own bees under their OWN name? I still just learned about this and I can't figure out why anyone is doing this or whats in it for each party involved.... just strange
#7.. Think I read he claims to have thousands of colonies... sells thousands of queens.... etc etc.. seems every number I read on his website is GREATLY exagerated.... I WORKED for his Dad, shook those bees... caught his queens... and on the BEST year JN ran about 400-600 hives.

I could say more... no need... he has built his own reputation now. It is just a REAL PITY to me to see how the name Russell has turned out for JN Russell. JN Russell had good bees... filled his orders.... everyone was happy..... THAT is what convinced me to get into the business in the first place. I just want EVERYONE on this forum who has dealt with Russell apiaries... or anyone who has read the posts here about Russell apiaries.... that what is NOW.. is not what it was 5 years ago. Ricky will be trying to build back up... plans to use "Russell and sons" apiaries. Hopefully I will realize my dreams also to sell queens and packages just like the man who taught me how to do it... under the name "SippyBees".
BUT... no matter who you buy your bees from... just PLEASE do not let the name Russell apiaries ruin the Russell name.... JN doesn't deserve that. "DR" Robert Russell will eventually meet his fate.... that I am sure.... but understand what has been done has been done by ONE person who shares the name of other persons who are honest and will do their best to help you if they can.
personally... I am not sure if this is tribute enough to JN Russell by writing all of this.... I could write much more, but if you like me LONG posts tend to lose my attention.. :)
To those who have lost money from Russell apiaries... am sorry that someone did that to you...
JN Russell would never have done that to you....
I HOPE everyone concerned will read this post and understand.... really sorry for what happened in the last 5 years I was gone... hope I can make it better in the future.
Clark Burrell
PM me for my phone if you want more info

See less See more
#56 ·
Robert seems to be missing JOEL.... and all the bee inspector said was that certain things I stated before with which falls under HIS job responsibility are TRUE. IT IS a matter of public record.... but since no one on this forum will bother to find out, they just keep hammering ME for slandering someone. NEWS JOEL... it is not SLANDER if it is TRUE!!! Where do YOURE statements and opinion come from??? What do YOU know about the whole situation??? WHO THE ?? ARE YOU? IF anything I said in this matter is not true then let ROBERT RUSSELL come here and tell everyone I am full of hmmm something. MOST of the people who dont believe what I have said don't live here, and dont have a dog in the hunt EITHER... STOP CRAWLING MY BACKSIDE.
I HEARTILY INVITE MR ROBERT RUSSELL TO COME HERE AND TELL ME I AM WRONG AND PROVE WHO HE REALLY IS!!!!! I invite him to meet me PERSONALLY!!!! And if ANYTHING ... ANYTHING>>> I have said here about the situation is NOT TRUE I will PUBLICLY ANNOUNCE I was WRONG....
This thing is like a soap opera.... unbelievable.... and I COMPLETELY agree... dont bother me with the truth... I know what I think already....

#58 ·
Joel Klose of Natures Way Farm

Is respected in the local community in the Southern Tier of New York as an honest, honorable man and one who is very generous with his bee wisdom to others less knowledgeable in the beekeeping community.

He's got his *own* line of bees, Finger Lakes Hybrids.

It's difficult for some to remain silent when someone makes deprecating suggestions concerning a man not present to defend himself, particularly one so generous and honorable the one being so attacked here.

#60 ·
"The first to plead his case seems right,
Until another comes and examines him."

There's more to the story than has been presented here.
Just because one offers no defense, does not mean none exists.

Time, and not words, will prove the character of the parties involved.

(That being the case, perhaps my efforts here are ill-advised.
It is hard for me to be still though, given what I have seen of Robert's character.)

#61 ·
I guess some do not understand the "laws" dealing with "public record" and "freedom of information" -- so I repeat myself -- There are still those that remind me of the old quote "don't bother me with the facts, my mind is already made up".

There was nothing said by this inspector other than, (1) SippyBees and Major stated the truth, (2) I will not speak specifics on a case, and (3) that "public record" documentation was sent to Barry since he is the moderator of the thread that has been involved.

Maybe some are unfamiliar with the terms "public record" and "freedom of information" as they pertain to the individual citizens, which also includes state employees. Those that know me personally and others that have dealt with me during business know how I stand (almost on a soapbox) about government in our lives. However, they also know that certain laws are needed to protect everyone. I have the duty to regulate some of those laws and I take it seriously. This thread has started down the same road others have and that is the reason I speak up. I will, however do as I have in the past and that is not address specifics in a case, but let me be clear, once a case has gone through the court system and settled it becomes "public record" and covered under "freedom of information". in most all states.

#62 ·
ok.. am gonna chill for a moment and share a little history.. :) Before I started helping JN Russell... I used to go visit him. He was kind of a bragger.. was just his personality... but I appreciated it. He ALWAYS handed me this stack of envelopes and I can still hear him saying" hey.. look at this... take a look at this one... whatta ya think??" He would have a STACK of letters wanting to buy queens/ packages in November. 75% of his next years earnings were sitting on that end table before he ever even went out and TOUCHED a hive. I was always impressed... but was a long while before I actually took up beekeeping and spent those 3 years with him learning what he did. In MY opinion... it is a PRIVELEGE that queen producers are generally paid UP FRONT for their product. Robert started coming back around to his Dad's place when Mr Russell's health started failing. MAYBE JN wanted one of his sons to take up the trade... MAYBE Robert saw all that money up front and it looks like EASY money... GUARANTEED. HOWEVER... what many people fail to realize in producing queens is... there is still a LOT of work involved before you can CASH those cheque... more than most people realize. Many queen producers may START... but I think only a small percentage of them actually stay in it for the long term. Not only is there a lot of work... but a lot of luck with the weather/ your bees strength.. etc etc etc... YES, Mr Russell always used to tell me " IF you can raise a bee you can sell it... but you gotta have the bees" I believe this 100%. Mr Russell raised as many as he could... and as far as I know they were great bees... he had customers for MANY MANY years who came back every year. Many I have met that would drive 1000 miles to pick up their packages or queens... and NO ONE that I know of EVER got screwed from Mr Russell... He would do whatever he could to make sure the customers got what they order and that they were happy.
NOW... did Robert intentionally screw anyone? I really dont know. I would just as soon came back on this forum and seen what a great queen producer he was and congratulated him and said.. HEY.. he is doing good. I used to work for his Daddy... he's got great bees.. etc etc. As the case was... this was not the reality. I have read many post who say they will NEVER buy another Russell queen... and it was THAT statement that caused me to find out what was going on and to post what I did here. I am NOT trying to be unfair or mean to anyone.... give these people their money back and all will be well.... but that is not gonna happen either. SO.. as far as I am concerned... what his family and friends of his family say about him is true... dont believe me?? Call THEM or come see them... you can always share a cold one with Johnny in the shop and he will tell you anything you wanna know.
As for the satellite people selling under Russell's name... I dont know anything about these deals.... dont know anything about any satellite reseller out there, and I have never said ANYTHING negative about any of them.... My OPINION is they just got caught up in all of this before the bottom dropped.
There are some people who thank me... some people who said they tried to say the same as I say but were slammed before.... and some people who say they have had nothing but great experience from Robert.... SO... all I can say is what has been said. Had I KNOWN how this would have turned out.... I would never had said a word. Let the buyer beware.... someone gonna sell you ocean property in Arizona... I hope you get a good view.
Maybe to Robert the idea of raising Queens far exceeded his willingness to do the WORK to raise queens. Maybe he is better suited for marketing.. :) I will admit... he has done a HECK of a job in THAT area.

#63 ·
In the old days we used to do this - mostly on tailgator - usually around Christmas and New years, Poor Barry would give us fair warning - we seldom heeded and often had to shut down the thread for a month or so. In honor of all the good Barry brings on to us all and all the headaches we give him I am stating the obvious here as stated many times over the years.

It's Janaury - Cabin fever has set in and we are all going stir crazy waiting for spring - worrying about our bees - and getting a little on the punchy side - perhaps our time would be better spent on productive posts where we all have someing positive to share. I am at least certain I am not seeing things clearly so I will hence go to other areas of reading and posting!

What we say about the theft, the Russells or anything other than how we will do our best beekeeping in 2013 really is nothing but grist for a non-productive mill unless it helps solve the problem.

#68 ·
<snip>

What we say about the theft, the Russells or anything other than how we will do our best beekeeping in 2013 really is nothing but grist for a non-productive mill unless it helps solve the problem.
As the old commercial stated..."THANKS!!! I needed that!!!!!"

Thanks for the reality check, Joel.

Ed

#64 ·
Thing I don't get about this version of events, is that Robert was not around but supposedly showed up shortly before his Dad's death, grabbed some hives and started selling bees.

However from back when Robert used to post on Beesource, it was obvious he had a pretty extensive knowledge of bees. His opinions were sometimes out there, and he believed in Lamarkian Evolution which was a bit hard for some to swallow, and I can't comment on the way he ran his business. But none the less, in my opinion his knowledge could have only come about by extensive experience.

How can that tally with he just showed up grabbed some hives and started posting on Beesource?

#66 ·
I too got cheated out of my money. So I went through all the steps to file a complaint with the Miss. attorney general.A few weeks later the attorney general sent me a letter saying they were dropping the investigation because no one from the buiness picked up the registered letter they sent them. If you want to cheat someone in Mississippi just don't pick up the letter the attorney general sends you. Unbelievable! I know this is old news, but what I really want to know is there any breeder who will send a small number of queens say 2-4. I live in Texas in African bee area and without requeening I will have to quit beekeeping. I have tried odering from several breeders, but usually they get canceled. thanks

#67 ·
Mr Genecot.. I must work a day job until May... but after I get home I am planning to raise as many queens as I can... for myself mostly... but I GUARANTEE YOU... if you can still use queens in JUNE... You will get them ( if you want 'em )... I'll even give you the first 4 FREE if you pay to ship em... I MIGHT can get you queens before then, but gotta check on that first. As a minimum... you can have 4 off my first run if you want them... I would like your feedback on whatever I send you put here on Beesource though... good or bad or otherwise...just your honest opinion of them after you give em a test run...

#70 · (Edited)
I hear what all of you are saying... and in regards to his knowledge, I dont know what he knows.. he might can talk good, or he might really know bees... but I CAN SAY.. every person here in Hinds county MS that I know of that knows him says he never went to college... and does NOT have a doctorate degree in entomology.... they all say he has a BS degree... and I DON't mean bachelor of science. If someone who KNOWS first hand could please tell us what school he graduated.. a simple phone call to the registrar could answer this simple question. IF he does indeed have his doctorate... then most everything else I have said becomes VERY questionable I admit.... but then again someone who is PRETENDING to have a doctor's degree... uses Dr. as his name prefix.... well... that might well start making believers out of some of ya.
When I worked with JN Russell.... there was JN... and Ron Miller.. they were kind of partnering at the time.... there was myself and my wife at the time... and there was a young guy who ran honey with his dad that helped sometimes also to learn queen rearing.. Their name was JT Crownover.. his dad is Luther Crownover of Crownover honey.... ALL of these people are out of bees now... except ME. but you can ask any of them where was Robert between 2004-2007... and he wasn't around Russell Apiaries in Bolton MS. How or where he got his knowledge I dont know... and his knowledge may be genuine.... I take most people's word here that KNOW bees and were convinced he knew what he was talking about... so he knew something. But I read his website and I cant finish a single paragraph without reading SOME kind of EXTREME exaggeration or just plain outright lie.
As I have stated several times... if he had sent queens to those that sent him money.. OR.. had he returned their money after not filling their orders.... this thread would not exist.. at least by ME.
I also told before about my own experience.. a company sent me color brochures, official letters of commitment, letter from a marketing company guaranteeing a customer base, etc etc etc.... I swallowed the hook... sent them $5000 cheque... that is $5000 REAL MONEY from my bank. I never saw a single thing... never got a penny back.. they filed bankruptcy <30 days after they got my cheque. SO.. I KNOW How some of these people here feel.

Where is Robert??? Can anyone here contact him??? Can Anyone ask him to PLEASE come here and show I am very mistaken at the least??? What school did he graduate from??? Please let us verify his credentials so all of this can come to a close!!

AND... BTW... I Absolutely Positively Astronomically AND Unquestionably HATE A LIAR.... mis-statements I can understand... honest mistakes I can understand.... people who make a genuine effort I can have sympathy.... but for ANYONE who tries to get me to swallow a pile of cow dung... I WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER HAVE SYMPATHY, OR RETREAT!!

#84 ·
Not saying you did anything wrong. Just pointing out an inconsistency. Or maybe my understanding is incorrect.

I, for one, appreciate your unique perspective on the Russel Family History. I know there is more than one side to every story. So, having your light shown on the situation is helpful.

What would be more illusidating would be a Link to the things Barry said he already told us how to find. I appreciaye his position, not wanting to be the one to throw the first stone, so to say.

#82 ·
Sippy, if Barry was unhappy with the formatting of your posts, he would have notified you, or removed the posts by now. I believe the rule about all caps is meant to deal with those people who have CAPS LOCK permanently on because they find it easier to type everything that way.

I don't see much effective difference between occasional use of words in ALL CAPS for emphasis, and similar use of all bold, also for emphasis.

As far as editing your past posts to change the select words with all caps, you will find that after a certain amount of time has passed, posts can no longer be edited by the original poster (only moderators).

#86 ·
From Dictionary.com:
fraud
/frôd/
Noun
Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
A person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.
Synonyms
cheat - deceit - deception - swindle - humbug - fake

I can't make everyone here believe what is truth.... but I have spent DAYS reading old posts... other forums.... and the degree of FALSE statements and insinuations made by some people are SO BIG it almost takes my breath away. I worked with JN Russell from 2004-2007... I knew him maybe 8 or 10 years before that. Ron Miller was JN's partner for 11 years... ending in 2008 when his knees got too bad. I think JN died in 2009. I often went by to see him when I was home from work... last time I saw him was about 6 or 8 months before he passed. I have talked with Ron about this forum and this post... I have talked to JT Crownover about this post.... Just to confirm I am not MIS-remembering things... and I was NOT. Never thought this would turn into something like this.. and I am sure MOST folks are about as tired of it as I am.... but I have people telling me I am mistaken... telling me I have my facts wrong... and ALMOST just plain calling me a liar.
Have read the old AFB thread... it was an AMAZING read... smoke and mirrors...
There are 21 apiaries in the state of MS certified to sell queens/packages/nucs... have never heard any of THEM complaining or failing to meet the inspector's requirements... SO.. lets blame the INSPECTOR for stupid stuff and turn the table so that we can deflect the TRUE problem. How many people bought into THAT????
Am gonna go out on the limb now.... no playing around... no suggestions... just a plain hard truth. I cannot say what RA is doing now... but I know most everything he says about his Dad... his dad's operation... his brothers.... his education.... what he was doing BEFORE his dad passed... the ordeal with the state apiary board.... and his commitment to customer service....is .. well... A LIE.
CALL ME OUT... have your lawyers contact me.... Am tired of playing around with this.. and tired of being accused myself.
Everything I have said is true.... I was there and so were plenty of witnesses were there also. It is all a LIE... and to all the followers of the cult... drink more kool aid... dont care... nothing will restore RA's until he at LEAST gives back the money... but I can also tell you for fact.... what you THINK you know... is not real.
There you have it.... bottom line....

#87 ·
I for one appreciate your candor, and I also fell victim to Ole Doc Russell. Yes I did see where he claimed to have sold 80,000 queens sure bet the IRS would like to have their cut of that revenue!! Thanks for all the info on Russell, you did a good service to others who could fall in that trap. Broodhead

#92 ·
Neither will I. I paid for two queens and got nothing. So did my father who I had recommended Russell to. At this point I don't care which of them are square and which aren't or any other details about them. Not worth the risk, the hassle, or the heartburn. There are other places to get queens without all the drama.

#89 ·
I'm kinda enjoying this thread.I was gonna buy some queens.I did my homework.I called the Ms. ag dept,spoke to the inspector&he said NOTHING derogatory about russel,but when I mentioned buying queens from russel he could not knowingly allow me to commit a crime.When I disclosed this info I was told that russel was the greatest,and I was worse than navel lint.Anyone can quote wiki or read a book,that doesnt mean they are knowledgeable,just smart enough to read and repeat.My 2 cents worth

#90 · (Edited)
BUT... no matter who you buy your bees from... just PLEASE do not let the name Russell apiaries ruin the Russell name.... JN doesn't deserve that. "DR" Robert Russell will eventually meet his fate.... that I am sure.... but understand what has been done has been done by ONE person who shares the name of other persons who are honest and will do their best to help you if they can.
personally...
Clark Burrell
PM me for my phone if you want more info
Clark it was nice for you to write this, but I am like an elephant and get very passionate about what I believe in, and I believe now the Russell name is tainted and if his half-brother wants to make a go of it , it would be wise to use another name because in my book how I was led along , lied too, used as a personal attack dog, I feel the name is forever tainted until I receive retribution. If my brother tainted my name like that I would make good on it before getting into that same business. Plus a Philip was a part of that scam too, was it the nephew?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.