Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 8 Frame vs 10 Frame? Pros and Cons..

After going thru Grandpa's stuff, I notice most of his stuff was 8 frame. He used deeps and shallows, no mediums. He tinkered with Foundationless. He made and sold comb honey. He did not have an extractor.

As I build my hives for the coming year, I am kicking around making some 8 frame hives. I have noticed that bees are reluctant to use the outer frames of a 10 frame. Do they do the same with 8? Other than weight of handling, what are the advantages of an 8 frame hive over a 10 frame? Or disadvantages?

Default Re: 8 Frame vs 10 Frame? Pros and Cons..

I really thought long and hard about 8 vs. 10 before I started using langstroth hives, and ended up choosing 8's - Deeps and mediums.

For me, it's the smaller interior and the ease of lifting when compared to the 10 frame. I'm also using narrow frames in the brood nest.

Adam

You won't regret it Adam.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I'm told bees like to build up so it would make sense to use 8 frames

They definantly use the outer frames in 8 frame equipment.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

If I had to start again I would go 8. Now that I have 700 Deeps it would be hard to change.

Have never seen bees not use outer frames in my 10 frame set up but I don't use deeps..
    Im really not that serious

> Do they do the same with 8?

No. They use them all and they clean them all out as they move up over winter.

> Other than weight of handling, what are the advantages of an 8 frame hive over a 10 frame? Or disadvantages?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#lighterboxes
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

>After going thru Grandpa's stuff, I notice most of his stuff was 8 frame. He used deeps and shallows, no mediums. He tinkered with Foundationless. He made and sold comb honey. He did not have an extractor.

All of that is coming back. As you see it's not new...
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnotinve...ing8frameboxes
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    If I had to start again I would go 8. Now that I have 700 Deeps it would be hard to change.
    Sounds like a great "winter project" up there in Issaquah!

9-10 I always rotate in all the time and it is a good place to put a feeder etc. Otherwise they really only work 8 well. Like I said if I had to do it over I would have gone with 8's. You can fit more on a truck then.

What if you are wanting to get into pollination, do most growers, brokers or whoever else, require 10's or are 8's becoming more acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by redsquirel View Post
    What if you are wanting to get into pollination, do most growers, brokers or whoever else, require 10's or are 8's becoming more acceptable?
    I think it's based on frames of bees/brood to begin the contract isn't it?

Adam

I cut down some of my 10s to eights and put the BB entrance at the face of the frames. I am happy with both moves.

Rick

Most of our operation is in 10 frame. We use 8 frame for all our comb honey production just because they prefer to work up not out and we consistently get 8 frames of filled comb honey. We started using them for comb in the 1990's because we were doing basswood boxes and wee tired of not getting the outside frames completed. They are lighter and easier to move, take less paint and less area to store. Even in 8 frame singles we seem to winter well as the draw the combs out and fill them. Suprisingly I don't think they swarm any more than our 10 frame hives do although that may be because our comb honey hives are always 1st year queens. I certainly would not hesitate to use Granpa's equipment - How cool is that when your out in the yard working bees in hives that have been in the family for 3 generations! I think you'd be pretty happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    I think it's based on frames of bees/brood to begin the contract isn't it?

Adam
    Yeah Adam, I'm not sure. I was thinking about switching to all 8 frame mediums for the size, weight and everything I have read about 8 vs 10 it just sounds like it might have an advantage. But, I had talked to a Almond broker a couple years ago and it sounded like they only like 10 frame deeps, and yes there was something about frames of brood and certain amount of live coverage. It would be interesting to know though.

I think I am going to build an 8 frame or 2 to give it a shot.

My hives are for my own personal use. I don't plan to loan out or travel with them. The idea of them being lighter is good, I do plan to move between my house and farm, 50 miles.

Grandpa's stuff was too far gone to use, been out in the weather and barn for over 30 years. It is pretty rotted and rough. I may try to make something out of some of it. I plan on using his old frames in swarm traps.

I wonder which would winter better, 10 or 8? I am thinking 8, less open space, more thermally efficient.

IMHO, and where I am, 8 vs 10 for overwintering is little to no difference given sufficient stores. It has been discussed here before that bees heat the cluster, not so much the space. Protection from direct wind and moisture is the key here.
    Rick

I cut down all my 10's to 8's last winter, only 60 or so boxes. It was allot of work but it was worth it. I learned a lesson from MB about 8's so I don't have to buy anymore nuc boxes. I just use two follower boards and I have a 6 frame nuc box. Everything is the same size. Much easier.
    Last edited by Charlie B; 01-17-2013 at 08:02 PM.

I rent out all my 8 frame hives along with my remaining 10 frame hives. My almond growers are only concerned about how many frames of bees I provide per each. I have been switching all my 10s to 8s for a few years now. Soon, I will only have 8s. I run double deep broods with meds as honey supers. I tried other configurations, but I really prefer the 8s.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

>What if you are wanting to get into pollination, do most growers, brokers or whoever else, require 10's or are 8's becoming more acceptable?

Seems like a lot of people are going to 8 frame for shipping them on trucks because you can fit more hives on a truck. 8 frame equipment will fit 7 across an eight foot wide bed. I would think mediums would confuse them more than 8 frames. But still I would think they could do the math. Les Crowder used to pollinate the almonds with top bar hives...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF