Default Neoba big bee buzz -- tulsa, ok -- march 22-23, 2013

The 2013 Northeast Oklahoma Beekeepers Association Big Bee Buzz is scheculed for March 22-23, 2013 at the Eastside Christian Church, located at 1438 South Indianapolis Avenue, Tulsa, OK 74112. We will meet from approximately 6:00 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. Friday evening and from 9:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. on Saturday.

Speakers will include:

1. Michael Bush, beekeeper, queen raiser, and author from Nebraska;

2. Sam Comfort, commercial beekeeper based on New York and the East Coast, who is chemical free and employs top bar hives; and

3. Ed Levi, former bee inspector for Arkansas, world traveller, chemical free beekeeper, and long-time friend and mentor to NEOBA.

Nearly all of the presentations, whether or not strictly about chemical-free methods, will focus on practical aspects of beekeeping, such as hive management. Our speakers will focus on beekeeping without the use of chemicals. Even if you are a beekeeper who treats his bees (like me), there will be plenty of information that will apply to you. We will probably have Ed Levi give us an update on his work with beekeepers overseas, including recent travels in North Africa.

Equipment and other items will be sold by Ozark Bee Supply, and I will follow up with details on placing orders. Michael Bush has been invited to bring copies of his book. Also, I think that you will also have an opportunity to buy a Ultrabreeze bee suit.

The cost is the ridiculously low sum of $30.00, which includes an evening meal on Friday and lunch on Saturday, and all the coffee and soda you can drink. NEOBA presents this seminar every year as part of our mission to educate folks in this region about beekeeping. We always have visitors from other states, and we present speakers who are worth traveling to see. You can also meet some other Beesourcers in the flesh.

It is not required that you register or pay in advance. However, pre-registration will soon be available through the neoba.org website, and it greatly helps us to plan and determine how much food to buy.

I will post the actual schedule when it is finalized.

Come join in the fun!!!

Default Re: Neoba big bee buzz -- tulsa, ok -- march 22-23, 2013

Online registration is now available at neoba.org.

Here is the schedule for speakers and topics:

FRIDAY, MARCH 22, 2013

5:30 p.m. Registration

6:00 p.m. Ed Levi – How I Don’t Medicate My Bees, In Approximately 45 minutes

6:45 p.m. Let’s Eat!!! – Dinner

7:30 p.m. Michael Bush – Lazy Beekeeping

8:15 p.m. Sam Comfort – Alternative Hives for Alternative Minds – Bringing the Means of Production Back to the Beekeeper.

9:00 p.m. Adjourn

SATURDAY, MARCH 23, 2013

8:45 a.m. Registration

9:15 a.m. Don Molnar, Oklahoma Apiary Inspector – Oklahoma Beekeeping Update

9:30 a.m. Ed Levi – The Bee Informed Partnership

9:45 a.m. Michael Bush – Four Simple Steps to Better Beekeeping

10:45 a.m. Break

11:00 p.m. Sam Comfort – Swarm the State: the Creation of Anarchy Apiaries

12:00 p.m. Lunch/Talk Bees

1:15 p.m. Michael Bush – Natural Comb and the Importance Of Cell Size

2:15 p.m. Break

2:30 p.m. Ed Levi – Continuing Beekeeping Travels With Ed -- Egypt,Haiti, Ethiopia And Maybe Some Other Places

3:15 p.m. Panel Discussion – All Speakers
    3:45 p.m. Auction and Raffle

4:00 p.m. Adjourn

If you are sure you are planning to attend and have not yet registered, please go to NEOBA.org and register. It will help us plan the meals.

Once again, even if you do not pre-register, you can show up the day of the event and pay your fee. We would prefer that you register, but we do not want anybody to stay home because they forgot or failed to register in advance.

At this point, this also provides a chance to meet in person some other people who post on Beesource. In addition to myself and Michael Bush, Solomon Parker will attend.

Finally, the primary vendor for this event is Ozark Bee Supply, and you should pre-order with them. Their contact information is located on their website: http://www.ozarkbees.com . I think they will have Ultrabreeze suits and jackets available for purchase.

cya there !!!!!!!!!!!