Default Swarm Traps/Nucs made from pallet wood

I remember coming across a post about building equipment with pallet wood. It seemed that most of the replies didn't like the idea. It has been a long winter waiting for spring so I decided I would build a few 5 frame swarm traps/nucs with some pallets to show that it isn't a completely stupid idea. I posted the process on my website and a youtube video as well. I get a lot of people asking me how I cut the rabbet for the frame-rest with a circular saw, which I show how to do in the video.
    Building your own equipment doesn't have to be hard or complicated. Your first couple boxes might not look the greatest, but once you get the hang of it you can build quality equipment with a circular saw, screwdriver and some glue. Just thought I would give some of you starting up this year something to think about while you are waiting for your bees.

Building Swarm Traps Using Pallets - Post

Building Swarm Traps Using Pallets - Youtube

Default Re: Swarm Traps/Nucs made from pallet wood

I find that old 10 frame boxes with 2-3 frames of drawn comb work best. Not so much success with nuc's. I think it might be too small.

I agree... I actually fasten two nuc boxes together. They seem to stay in the trees better because most of the weight is closer to the tree. Regular 10 frame equipment is always awkward to hoist into the trees.
    How do you hang your equipment? Do you use rope or do you nail them to the tree?

Is there any species of wood to really avoid for wooden ware? I got a bunch of basswood I am using right now. And of course anything treated with creosote or salt treatments will not be used.

I like your nucs and making them from pallets is a good idea. Almost unlimited wood source.

Look at the D Coates nuc plan on this site, makes a easier frame rest and it will work good for pallet wood.
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...oates-version/

Somewhere between 5 and 10 frames is the preferred size by bees (T. Sees Book)
    Also there is no different with bee preference with cracks/holes in it like you might have with pallet wood pieced together. Bees can seal it so they don’t care.

I think your pallet wood would hold up just fine as long as its not on the ground wet.

Last winter I made 30+ D Coates 5 frame nucs with old house siding that was sitting in a field for at least 10 years, some of the top pieces were junk but allot of good wood underneath. I did not have much comb maybe 10 had full frames, the other I put brood piece glued into frames. A few only had foundation. I ordered 10 Mann Lake swarm lures and used LGO in all of them. I only refreshed the LGO once. I was very happy when I caught 12 swarms in them last years. It was like Christmas every time I caught one.

I just finished 10 more traps and have allot more comb ready to go. Hope to catch more than I did last year.

Was short on frames and had allot of missing frame in the traps last year, the bees built comb on the lids almost making me do a cut out on each one. So all my traps now are full with empty foundationless frames, plus the brood comb frame. just hope they build straight.

I will be taking them down before Sept, that's when the wax moth get bad and I didn't catch anything after that anyways. And I also sprayed BT on the comb.

If you used a speed Square as a straight edge for your cuts they go faster and Straighter
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

The only bee equipment that I have ever made from pallet wood was a waste of time. Pallet wood is the often lowest grade, pithy and prone to rot. I also made swarm traps from wine boxes, another waste of time. Look for good quality waste wood and paint it well. Better yet, make your traps out of brood chambers and you won't need duplicate equipment. I never hang a swarm trap in a tree. Too much work and bees will move into one at easy reach height just as well. I place them on tables, garden walls, stumps, hoods/roofs of old cars and on decks. Why break your neck dealing with swarm traps. Swarms live in trees because that's where cavities are. They are just as happy with a cavity at a convenient to you height.

I had some luck last season in trapping ---I set my traps on DEER stand ---easy to get to and tie down ---wild plum --crab apple--and a few more flowering bushes ---

I've made some traps using old boxes that they have been throwing away from work. I use 5/8" dowels for frame rests in order to quickly modify them. Here's a link to them:

http://jorgedenton.blogspot.com/

George, I love the boxes. Its fun to see what others are using for equipment. I figure the day I can buy all the equipment I could ever need, Beekeeping would no longer be fun. If it can be turned into a beehive, it will.

Those remind me of my winebox bait hives. You put as much time and materials into them as you would making a new brood chamber, and end up with an extra superfluous piece of equipment and no brood chamber. This year any bait boxes I make will be out of budget deep brood chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tervort View Post
    I figure the day I can buy all the equipment I could ever need, Beekeeping would no longer be fun. If it can be turned into a beehive, it will.
    Amen! ...It doesn't have to make sense...it just has to be fun!

How much should I expect to pay for a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" plywood?

About $15-$20, give or take depending on the type and quality.

+1 on the D Coates style. If you could get the pallets already disassembled it may make sense to use pallets, but disassemble of the pallets is tedious. Plus you have to piece the wood so it gets big and clunky and unnecessarily heavy. I guess if you had a wood shop you could use a jointer and then use biscuits to assemble them, but geez, this is old pallet wood, and that would be a butt load of work.

On the other hand, if you have more time than money and it works for you, more power to you!