Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mole repellant?

Default Mole repellant?

Anyone have any ideas for mole repellants? Have tried mole (castor) beans and castor oil mixes sprayed on the ground. Sonic devices seem to work a little. But nothing seems to work as a deterrent. I know there are lethal ways to attack the vermin but even that works with limited success.

They are a protected species in the area and poisons are not supposed to be used. But the foot holds and sink holes are a bit much to live with in a lawn. I would prefer to find something natural if possible that would keep them away. I really prefer not to kill anything that can be avoided. They are just a creature trying to survive like the rest of us. Would rather they do it somewhere else is all.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Default Re: Mole repellant?

they are a protected species in the area
    what???
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Does the critter you have tunnel (Moles)? or
    Make mounds? (Pocket Gophers)
    Either way there is a poison grain you can put in the pocket or tunnel and solve your problem!

Yeah HM, protected. Not here, up in NC. Don't see it myself but somebody thinks there should be a lot more of the pests! Seems to be plenty to go around to me!

They are moles Myron. No gophers for hundreds of miles that I'm aware of. I can get poisoned peanuts for them. Was just hoping to avoid all the carnage. Also, been there done that in the past. It's only short term before they move back in, in force again. Hoping to find something non lethal to them or un-targeted animals that would turn them away?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I have two little dogs that love to dig up moles, they work as a team an usually get them in a few hours. They even bring them to my back porch to see their work. But there is some carnage to the moles and the yard.

True that! Some cats like to toy with them too.

You need to come up here and borrow our dog for a few weeks. He'll hear them under the soil and dig them up, then run around the yard with them in his mouth.
    Regards, Barry

Thumbs Up Re: Mole repellant?

We have serious gopher and mole problems here. Have set several spring loaded traps with little success. This is the design producing the most success for us.

41RoPw2x5QL__SX355_.jpg

It is death to pocket gophers (9 last year and three over winter so far). We tried a smaller version of this trap last FAll for moles and we've only caught two moles with those. The last try for moles was to run a small engine with a hose from the exhaust to the tunnel (hard to know if we have done any good with that). A friend uses road flares in the tunnels and claims success.

We live in the middle of mole and gopher heaven, I'm surprised you have any....I thought they all must be here
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

One of my friends had a little dog (Boo) that was dandy with moles! He would do the same thing. But Boo isn't with us anymore. Her new dogs only kill sticks mainly, but they're pretty good at it!

Spring traps work some. Not a very reliable way of controlling them. All three properties in mind are bordered by the woods and I guess the woods are full of them? Because the population in the yards return about as fast as they are taken out! Makes a mess of the yard and you can't walk more than a few feet without stepping on a tunnel. Some big and deep enough to loose your footing. Risk twisting an ankle or worse.

I remember when I was a kid growing up on the farm, maybe 5 or 6 years old. I saw one pushing up dirt in a tunnel one day and since I had never personally met one in person, decided it would be a good idea to dig it out. I grabbed hold of that thing when I found it and it came out snarling and growling like a crazed badger! I decided pretty quick they weren't very fun to play with and cracked it's noggin before it chewed my arm off! After that, I included them in my personal war on yellow jackets! Those were always fun too! Find a 1x2 board, tap the hole and wait for batting practice to start! lol

Sounds like you need more snakes. Maybe you could put the word out on craigslist or freecycle that you need small to medium sized snakes - preferably non-poisonous. -js

I have run a animal damage control business for almost 20 years. Moles are a huge part of it. I remove over 300 every summer. At 25.00 per mole w/ a setup fee this is a chunk of change. I learned the ropes from this man. http://www.themoleman.com/

Juicy Fruit gum.Take the outer wrapper off, leave the foil wrapper on. Stick it into the hill and the mole goes away. No joke.
    Heard it from Paul Harvey years ago and it works.

danno, what do you think of milky spores to eradicate their food? I put some out this past summer as a long range solution.

P.S. I just read your links. The milky spores may slow the gophers, but not moles because moles are insectivores(worms are not affected).
    Last edited by Lburou; 01-17-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    danno, what do you think of milky spores to eradicate their food? I put some out this past summer as a long range solution.

P.S. I just read your links. The milky spores may slow the gophers, but not moles because moles are insectivores(worms are not affected).
    Many people I have worked for have put down grub control products and amased that they did nothing. What I tell they is that worms are the main coarse and all they did was kill the desert. The product "the worm" seems to work sometimes. Its a anticoagulant in a gummy worm. Sinse moles have the smallest eyes of all mammals and can only see lightness or darkness the worm shape is for the consumer. Where the product fails is when the mole finds a spot in its small territory that has alot of worms. They wont leave until the food is all gone. The Worm has a short working life once put in the ground and if the mole is in the neighbors for a week or 2 they are ineffective. I also read about the poison grain back in this thread. As you read they are insectivores not rodents that eat grain. It would be like trying to get a squirrel to eat a poison t-bone steak

Barry
    I will dog set for you and he can have a ball while here

You'd like that! Poor dog would come back skin and bones from working so much. You would have him going after moles, squirrels, coons, skunks, anything else?
    Regards, Barry

Deer?

And all his neighbors varmints too!! And........ those are tree rats by the way.

Yup yup, heard about the juicy fruit thing. Don't know what the poison peanuts do if they won't eat them but they sure do disappear for a while?

Battled moles for literally years.

Moles are carnivores and turn their noses up to grain, peanuts, etc.

I've tried poison fake earthworms, every repellent known to man, exhaust
    from a vehicle, etc.

The only thing that works are traps and dogs... but they are still hard to control.

It's amazing at how much damage 1 mole can do, they are solitary animals and
    often folks think there are several when only one.

They still drive me nuts.......

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You'd like that! Poor dog would come back skin and bones from working so much. You would have him going after moles, squirrels, coons, skunks, anything else?
    Rabbits!! They are so bold, they have their nests right in our garden right under our noses. Lab didn't even find them for awhile. The "trained" hawk got one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast