Default Will the bees try to raise a new queen in this situation.....

If I temporarily removed the queen and a couple frames and put them in a nuc on top of their original hive with a double screen board in between them... The bees in the original hive may not have access to the queen, but her pheromones are still wafting through the double screen board....If they could smell her but not access her would it prevent them from trying to raise another queen?

Default Re: Will the bees try to raise a new queen in this situation.....

MB has posted before about ending up with two queens by using a queen excluder. I added an empty super above the excluder and got very nice cells, more superceder than emergency.
    Ray Marler uses a 24 hour removal to start the cells and then rejoins the queen and nuc.
    Should work fine.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

I never done that but it will work from what I've read. An empty box for more seperation is recomended.

This year to split I pulled the queen with 3 frames. Let the original now queenless hive raise cells. You can either let the hive raise them all or split out the cells for more nucs depending on your goal and resources. Make sure there is ample bee bred and open nectar and plenty of bees in the cell starter/builder. If down in during spring/early summer flow you can make 3 splits from one hive. Also a good technique in spring for swarm supression, artifical swarm.

If you notch, tear away, bend down the bottom of cells with eggs the bees can build cells much quicker and easier,

>but her pheromones are still wafting through the double screen board....

They can smell QMP, but it takes sharing it via mouth to suppress queen rearing. They will raise a new queen on the other side of the double screen because they can't even share it through a double screen. As already mentioned, they almost always raise one even when they CAN share it with just an excluder because she still is far enough away. Also, keep in mind that queens make a lot of different pheromones. They make tarsal pheromones that they leave on the combs as they walk, and others besides QMP.

>If they could smell her but not access her would it prevent them from trying to raise another queen?

No it will not prevent them from raising another queen.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

When you made the splits did you move the splitS to another yard or keep them in the same vicinity?
    If in the same vicinity how to you keep the foraging age bees from drifting back to the original hive?

I ask as I would like to try splits next year but can't move hives 2 miles or so away.

The best I could do would be to close the split in a horse trailer...with screened windows...and feed syrup for a couple of days and then return them to the spot with the other hives

Separate yard would be nice. Not required. Multiple tricks help
    Move hive and leave split to receive foragers.
    Split when foragers are outside.
    Avoid splitting after robbing season begins.
    If you move the split, move it out off the flight path.
    Keep the entrance small.
    Rather have one survive than two fail. Start big and work your way down to smaller splits as you are more comfortable.
    Balance the hives in the yard.
    Plenty of good posts on here, plenty of time to search.
    Most fun possible with bees.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Thanks..if the bees make it through the winter I will have a go at splits in the spring.